A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Apr 2019, 11:34 pm

Hunter stares intensely at the bone ring on the senior druid's hand as she rubs it.

Insight 22
Nobody likes having their question answered with a question, let alone many. But what was Ara feeling just now?
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Apr 2019, 11:46 pm

Carlos's brow contorts in an almost comical manner - almost - as he notices Jojo's piercing of the veil. His jaw shifts uncomfortably, as he tries to mull over just what could be going on.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Apr 2019, 11:52 pm

Insight Check: Pass:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 12:00 am

"There's more to you being here as welll, Senior Druid. Zoras and his men are already here for the drow. What about you?"

Insight 14
lie detector
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 12:22 am

Fenian looks like he wants to run away. He's now scooted as far away from his master as he can get while still being on his stump. Shandalar flashes him a wintry grin. Her teeth have all been sharpened to points, giving her the look of a wolf. Her smile causes Fenian to visibly blanch but he does stop moving away from Ara. The senior druid licks her lips as she works out whether she'll answer or not. Finally her eyes rest on Kat for a moment before she finally says, "We are all here for the drow. One way or another. Members of my order were killed in the attack. I need to know if they were specifically targeted and the only way that will happen is if I get her into my court so I can question her."

Insight Check: Partial Success:
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 12:26 am

"Your court? Are you saying an open court won't do?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 12:36 am

Hunter's cheeks might be reddening beneath his ruddy skin tone. Why did Kathryn have to go and spill everything? Especially the vision.

Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 12:48 am

"No, I'm saying a human court won't do nor will a mob, and that's what will happen if Yorenan is allowed to leave for Harkenwold with the drow or if Zoras has his way. She must not leave our lands until I can speak to her and I can't officially do anything until someone convenes a trial, someone like the Elder, or a, what's the human word for etinya'senyin?"

"It's quorum," says Jojo.

"Yes, a quorum. Thank you. The Elder, a quorum of Senior Hunters, or a Shiere Knight could all call on me for a trial." She looks meaningfully at Kathryn.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 1:00 am

The young knight places a quizzical finger on her lips and thinks for a moment about everything she has just learned. "Hmm, I'm curious about something," she finally says. "You're worried that the Drow raiders targeted members of your order, right? Why is that so important? Don't they hate all elves on the surface?"
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 1:24 am

Ara's eyebrow twitches and for the first time she looks frustrated. "It would appear that you aren't as, young, as I took you to be, Ser Elwyn. None of what I'm about to tell you can leave this clearing, do you all understand?

It's not unusual for tribes of the Woodsinger Clan to disperse into smaller hunting and gathering groups outside of festivals or council meetings and our tribe is no different. But what is unusual is a member of this group, the only survivor out of those taken. She's the daughter of powerful druids, their bloodlines brought together through auguries and portents, and born under an auspicious moon. She is destined to be a great leader to our people and a powerful druid, maybe even the one that will free us from our Curse someday. Or at least that's what we hope. I need to know if this was a coincidence or, if a targeted kidnapping, how they found out about her. We took great pains to hide her identity. If there was a leak or lapse I will close it.
"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 2:03 am

At the implications of Kathryn's question, Hunter's tail, which has been flicking the air slightly, whips one last time and remains still as he simmers down from steaming like a lidded cauldron of boiling water.

No, she's not "young", you're damn right. Good job, Kat!

He stirs after Ara is done answering, and speaks with a hint of remorse, and strain."For my part, the last thing I want is to be another loose end. I'll stay out of it. And...I'm sorry for your loss."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 9:27 pm

The senior druid sighs. "Lorsan, the father, was a good man. I've known him for many years. Lura not so long, but she loved our tribe as her own and threw herself into her work. Every loss was a tragedy but theirs will affect the tribe for years to come. It takes a long time to train a druid and more time yet to season them." She looks over to Fenian and shakes her head and sighs. Abashed, he scoots back to the middle of his stump.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 9:47 pm

Kat lowers her head in respect of the poor parents who lost their lives in the drow raid. She then simply feels sorry for poor Fenian who doesn't seem to live up to his mentor's expectation.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 9:49 pm

Hunter raises an eyebrow at the boy. I was just like you, once, I just had a little more spine.

"If an agreement could be made that involved transferring custody of the drow over to you at the end of the investigation, how much could the rangers be involved?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 10:08 pm

"I don't need custody, I need access. If you can get Yorenan to agree to a trial I'll guarantee the fairness of it. Just like any trial I oversee. That also means they would fall under my protection, a charge I take very seriously. Very seriously." The pain is obvious in her voice and she takes a moment to compose herself. "As for the Rangers, their presence here is by treaty though getting caught smuggling a fugitive off of our land may have jeopardized that. It will probably come up at the trial and you'll be rolling the dice for that one. I suggest you work on a persuasive argument defending their actions. You are going to call for a trial, right?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 10:16 pm

"I'm not sure yet," Kathryn says while cocking her head. "I probably will, but I need to learn more about what happened that night before I make a decision."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 10:20 pm

After strained hesitation, Hunter replies, "...Yes. For what it's worth, I hope that is what Ser Elwyn decides after our investigation is done. One more question."

"There are at least two people who can make a trial happen, if I understand this right: you, and the chief of this tribe. Do you have any advice on who the Shiere knight should petition?"

Insight 7
"Fairness" huh? I'm sure we both agree on the definition of that.

Insight 16
In answer to his final question what part of it is her motive disguised as advice?
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 10:44 pm

Insight Check Truth: Partial Failure:

Insight Check Motive: Success:

Ara looks at Hunter in confusion and says, with the just the barest hint of sarcasm, "Who do you think?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 10:50 pm

"...Uh. Right. Nevermind." He walked right into that.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 10:55 pm

Carlos does his best not to sigh - "While we all think on that - and this could be a dumb question right off the bat or we wouldn't be sitting here - but i take it you or your people couldn't just arrange for two minutes with this woman and ask her directly? Just seems like an awfully roundabout way to have one question answered. You do understand that if there is a trial, we'll have to act accordingly to our station as well - we can work our way to asking her what you want to know, but we can't be your proxies in case you want to dig deeper or go into specifics, not without good reason."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2019, 11:53 pm

"I do understand and I'm willing to take that gamble that your investigation will answer my questions, but you can tell me before the trial what they knew and only bring up what you believe is pertinent. The trial itself would be for the sake of my people. They need closure on this, but the right way. I've tried addressing them but they won't listen and Elder Neremyn ordered me to stay out of it before leaving on his 'retreat.' And then there's the matter of Yorenan. I'm afraid he has no love for me."

"And why exactly is that?" asks Jojo.

"...I oversaw the trial of Symania, his mother, when she was punished for marrying his father, the human Tolliver Oakley, without permission."

John says in surprise, "Oh, Grandpa Oakley!"

"What the heck does your grandpa have to do with this?" asks a confused Zoe.

John shrugs. "I'm really not sure. He died a while ago but I met him once when I was a kid. I don't remember him too well, but he was really strong for an old guy and he kept tossing me up into the air. I ended up throwing up on him and my mom took me away and yelled at him. I also remember Grandma Symoma gave me some leaves to chew on and it made me feel better. I must have messed up her name cause I was so little."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu 11 Apr 2019, 12:03 am

"It wasn't your fault." That wasn't anyone's fault.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu 11 Apr 2019, 12:11 am

Kathryn nods repeatedly at everything she hears, and she considers all the information she has learned so far. "Your history with Yorenan might complicate a few things," she says to the druid, "but I don't think it's insurmountable. Yorenan is a reasonable man after all, right Hunter?" She doesn't doubt this fact for a second, even though she's never met the man. "I think it's high time we begin interviewing the witnesses who know about the drow woman and the raid on your people."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu 11 Apr 2019, 12:16 am

Hunter hears, and she's right, as far as he knows, but he doesn't give her a nod. He's just upset again, but he tries his hardest to hide it.

Deception 15 (just CHA)
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu 11 Apr 2019, 12:56 am

"Very well. If I may make a suggestion, I'd start with Aymar the Strong and Salihn. Aymar was the leader of the guard for the camp. He was shot four times with poison-tipped crossbow quarrels but was still able to give the camp some warning. I healed him myself and you can find him staying with his sister's family in the tent southeast of here. It's just on the other side of that large outcrop there. You'll find a small brook nearby.

Salihn is a gatherer, you'll likely find her in the clearing not far from the Ranger's cabin but if she isn't there, try her tent. She has it set up along the northern edge of the clearing. She managed to lead away some of the children and bring help. I know she saw something. When I asked her about the drow she became agitated and stormed off. Whatever it is, she seems loathe to say.
"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next