A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeSat 13 Apr 2019, 10:16 pm

"Oh, I see. Thank you for answering our questions, Aymar. You've been very helpful." She smiles at the tall warrior and after making sure her companions have nothing else to ask, she says, "Take care of yourself, Aymar."

She waves goodbye at him and then leaves with the rest of the party to meet Salihn.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeSat 13 Apr 2019, 10:39 pm

"Thank you, Aymar. I hope the elder hears any advice the Glade has to offer."

When they get some distance away from everyone, Hunter gives advice of his own to Kathryn: "Don't be afraid to wield authority. In my experience, a simple, but clear warning that you'll act on your suspicion can easily deflate an indignant reaction."

As the group passes back the way they came to find Salihn, Hunter stops them and says that there's some things he needs to ask Ara.

- Where is the Glade of the Moon Maiden? How far is it?
- What poisons used in the attack have been identified?

ooc:
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Apr 2019, 10:34 pm

When you guys get back to Ara's tent you find Shandalar practicing with her spear out front. She twirls it effortlessly, dives into a dodge that she somehow turns into an attack before diving away again. When you draw close enough to speak she stops and looks at you all. The way she cocks her head sideways reminds you all very much of a wolf.

After the party tells her that they would like to speak to Ara again, the bodyguard walks over to the druids tent and sticks her head inside. No word passes from her lips but nevertheless Ara emerges from inside. "You return. To call for a trial I hope."

Hunter's Questions

Q: Where is the Glade of the Moon Maiden? How far is it?
A: "The Glade lies an hour's walk to the south of here. It is a sacred area, only open to Elders, Druids, and Senior Hunters. Were you planning to visit? You have my permission, for what it's worth."

Q: What poisons used in the attack have been identified?
A: "The drow used one poison: Khaless or in the human tongue, Trust. It's their infamous sleep-poison. It attacks the nervous system of the victim, causing them to fall asleep for an hour or so and any that manage to resist that effect are still slowed and groggy. It's a favorite way for drow to open a battle as they can kill or capture the victims at their leisure."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Apr 2019, 10:49 pm

Hunter was not planning to visit, but he responds to the first answer. "We might. Thank you." They can definitely use that later.

"Ser Elwin will be paying a visit to Salihn next."

(onto Salihn?)
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 12:10 am

As you say your goodbyes to Ara again, Folan approaches your group. He politely bows and then says, "Forgive me for interrupting your investigation but you have a visitor requesting a private audience."

He indicates an armed and armored elven woman, standing with a small group of four armed and armored hunters in the shadow of an oak tree thirty feet away to the northeast. The beautiful woman has long green hair that is held in a ponytail by a braided knot and her fine leather armor is well made and expertly fitted. Her brown cape seems to subtly switch colors in the light, making it difficult to focus your attention on her, probably a magical effect. The woman holds a longbow in her hand, the wood of the bow stave carved into the likeness of leaves set one upon the other. She leans patiently against the tree and nods in acknowledgement when you all look over.

"Her name is Symania Oakley and she is a Senior Hunter as well as Yorenan's mother. She claims to have information vital to your investigation."

Symania Oakley of the Woodsinger Clan:

Hunter:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 12:21 am

Hunter stares. He wasn't sure he'd get the chance to see his grandma again. He forgets about the others long enough to take a step forward, and then twists back to say "C'mon, I can introduce us."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 12:21 am

The Nord woman peers at Symania, fascinated by the woodwork of the bow and the magical effect of the cloak she wears. When their eyes meet, she gives her a white smile and then lets Hunter handle the conversation.

"Of course," she says to her tiefling friend.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 12:28 am

Carlos gives a short bow by way of greeting when they approach, not saying anything till Hunter does the introductions.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 12:41 am

"Oh, this should be interesting," says Zoe to no one in particular as she follows Hunter over. Jojo and John follow without comment but John looks a little nervous.

As the party approaches Symania and her hunters, she stops leaning against the oak tree and moves forward a few steps to place herself ahead of her men. She waits for you guys to speak.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 12:48 am

On the way over, Hunter second-guesses the personal introductions when he notices the others with Symania. When he arrives, he just blurts it out anyway.

"Hey Grandma." He smiles.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 1:15 am

The elf's face lights up into a smile as Hunter greets her with his choice of honorific and the day seems to brighten just a little for all of you. "Hello Hunter. Staying on target?"

Her men remain politely in the background, content to watch their leader greet her in-laws. The crowd that's managed to stick with you up to this point looks confused at what might be happening and Folan and his men work to move them further back to try to give you some additional privacy.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2019, 1:25 am

"Always!" He wants to hug her, but this damn crowd. "These are my friends. I think you know Ser Kathryn Elwin. This is Carlos Jalpeno de Muerte; Zoe Tahlavia, a priest of Avandra; Joshua Jordstad, but you can call him Jojo; and John Howard. You remember John, right? He was serving at the Keep as one of the baron's men. Now he's with us!"

Noble barks.

"That's Noble."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 10:20 pm

Zoe smiles at the older elf and waves to her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Symania."

Jojo does his best "hello" pose, a kind of lunge/salute thing that's harder than it looks. After holding the pose for ten seconds, he pops into a ta-da victory pose, after which Symania smiles and claps in delight. There's also a scattering of applause from her confused men, but it's clear they are just doing it to not offend their leader.

When John is introduced, he looks very anxious but manages to say, "I'm not sure you remember me but you and Grandpa came to visit us in Harken once when I was little."

Symania smiles at her stepgrandson and says, "I remember Tolliver throwing you into the air until you got sick. I gave you a peppermint leaf to chew on to settle your stomach."

An immensely relieved John laughs and says, "And then I called you Grandma Symoma."

She joins in the laughter as she walks over to Noble and lets him sniff her hand before patting him on the head. "How on Arda did you end up with a hyena as a companion?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 10:28 pm

The knight smiles contently at the scene and lets Hunter lead the conversation. The story about John vomiting does make her laugh a little.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 10:31 pm

"Uh...we found him. He was a straggler that had fallen behind a group of...'raiders' and got trapped by the forest itself to shield him from an owlbear looking to make him its next meal. He's been following us ever since we rescued him."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 11:32 pm

"Raiders you say? Sounds like there's a story there." While looking at Noble, Symania gets a far away look in her eye, like she's seeing the little hyena from some far away point in time and space. While under this scrutiny, Noble becomes quiet and docile, to the point where he looks like he might fall over. Finally, the elf breaks the effect and says, "Story indeed. But one for another time while our family is in danger. I've been in contact with my son since yesterday and he sends his regards. He wanted to contact you all directly but he doesn't want to undermine your credibility in front of the tribe. He's looking forward to seeing you again Hunter."

"I'm sorry to interrupt Symania, but I take it this isn't just a social call?" asks Zoe.

Symania shakes her head and then confirms by saying, "No it isn't. He asked me to look into a few things at the site of the main attack. More specifically the attack routes the Drow used, the general flow of the battle, and where two elves in particular were: Salihn, a gatherer of Reptar's band, and Reptar himself. And before anyone gets too excited Reptar is dead, slain during the battle in his own tent. But I did find something strange on his body before it was wrapped up for the journey back here. " She pulls a necklace out of her pocket and tosses it lightly to Hunter for him and anyone else to inspect.

At first glance, there's nothing particularly special about the piece; it looks like any number of love charms you guys have seen being peddled come market day in communities across the Vale and beyond, with a polished stone at the center of a carved oak setting hung from a flaxen cord. But this one in particular is too heavy and the white stone is black, something you'd never do if you were really asking Sehanine for her blessing in matters of the heart.

Everyone make a Wisdom (Perception) check please, followed by an Int (Arcana) check if you are proficient in it.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 11:36 pm

Hunter grabs what's tossed to him, feels the weight, and hands it over to Kathryn after he's had a look.

"They're supposed to be white. Why in the Nine Hells would someone paint these black...? Zoe?"

Wisdom 15
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 11:37 pm

Kathryn examines the pendant and widens her eyes at how pretty it is. She doesn't seem to know what's so special about it however, except for the black stone.

Roll:
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2019, 11:43 pm

Carlos looks at the stone, and especially how taut the cord is under it's weight, then gets an ominous realization - "Oi guys, i'm getting a nasty kind of deja-vu here."

Perception 18
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Apr 2019, 12:09 am

For Everyone:

Hunter:

Carlos:
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Apr 2019, 12:15 am

Carlos moves closer to get a better look - "That right there's a Tree Stone, oi. Feels like it's from the Underdark, i'm getting my bones all tingly-like over here."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Apr 2019, 12:19 am

"That's where the Drow come from, right? Jojo, you should take a look at that when we're somewhere else."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Apr 2019, 12:58 am

"I agree," says Jo, taking the necklace from Carlos. "I can't be sure what kind but it feels like a spell was on this. Any idea what kind it was?"

Symania frowns a little and says, "I think it was two spells, one for tracking and an illusion to hide the necklaces' true nature. But I didn't have access to my equipment to make sure."

Jo's ears perk up at the work equipment. "I have some skill with magic. Perhaps with both of us working together we can solve this particular mystery."

"That's a great idea Jojo. Any help you could give would be appreciated." Symania lights up the area again with a smile.

"I see what you mean about the stone being like the one we found earlier Carlos," says Zoe, after taking her turn with the necklace. "But I don't feel the same aura from it that I did the Eye. I don't think it's been primed for soul capture but Symania and Jo will have to determine that." She shrugs.

Symania is not too pleased to hear about soul capturing. She puts her free hand on her hip and says, "Soul capture? What have you been getting into?"

John looks uncomfortable and quickly says, "Long story Grandma but it will have to wait until later. I promise we'll tell you the whole story."

Symania sighs and says, "Okay, but I'm holding you to that. Both of you." She includes Hunter in her disapproving glare.

"So what did you find out about Salihn?" asks Jo, changing the subject.

"That she was sweet on Reptar, and though it was mutual for a time, they broke up. She's apparently been trying to talk him into getting back together but more than that I can't say. It might have something to do with why the necklace looks like a love charm or it might be a coincidence." From her tone there at the end she clearly doesn't think it is.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Apr 2019, 1:11 am

Hunter looks ready to rebuff a lecture, but he keeps his pie hole shut. Like John said, that story can wait.

"Did anyone see her during the attack?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Apr 2019, 9:46 pm

"She was asleep in one of the gatherer tents on the western side of the camp when the attack started and was shaken awake by Imizael, another gatherer. They both ran to the north towards the hill where they helped gather up the children before escaping with Aymar and his men out of the camp. The only time she isn't directly accounted for is when they split up to find what children they could," says Symania before adding, "Imizael spoke highly of her courage."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 37 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next