A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8th interlude: Two centuries of memories

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Empty
PostSubject: 8th interlude: Two centuries of memories   8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jan 2024, 10:59 pm

Samantha and Edward

When Samantha opens her eyes, she finds herself back in her original body, sitting on a bench in the backyard of the manor where she, her friends, and their families, lived for several years before the Imperials raided it and captured the fairies.

Jacob is sitting beside her, looking slightly younger than his two hundred years old self.

"Hi, Sam," the young fairy says with a smile. "How do you feel? "

Samantha relaxes against the bench, looks around at the courtyard, and then looks down at her friend and smiles. "This place is full of memories. I remember the time I came back from an errand, and someone had TP'd the interior of the manor, from the attic all the way to the cellar...
"And not just any TP, it was multi-colored! I got teased for being worried that some of those colors were more 'natural' than the others."

Jacob laughs and says, "May was right; it did brighten our spirits. But it took us a whole afternoon cleaning everything up! Not that my brothers and sisters cared. Even cleaning was fun for them."

"Your family always managed to find an element of fun in everything you did. Other humans are purpose-driven. They wear their sense of duty like a shell. It takes some doing to pry their plates and slip some happiness inside."

"Like you, then?" Jacob looks at Samantha with curiosity.

Sam stutters and her voice catches in her throat. Then she laughs. "I guess I am talking about myself!

"It's okay. You have me and Gab to help you find some of that happiness when you need it." The fairy pauses and shifts his gaze forward, toward the forest line. "I guess we couldn't do the same for Edward."

Samantha takes a deep breath. She closes her eyes for a moment. "What's next for Edward, Jacob? If you were Kieran, what would you do?"

The fairy remains silent for a moment as he weighs his words carefully. Then he sighs. "We haven't reached a decision yet, Sam. I wanted to talk to you first." He looks at her again. "We're pretty certain that he forced his orb into Wanda Makara. He then did the same to Konrad, Mihai and Steve. He orchestrated two civil wars with the intent to launch an all-out assault on the Elementals. And from what Konrad and the others could gather, he also funded Tristan Goodman's experiments." Jacob grimaces. "So, you tell me, Sam. What would you do with that man?"

Samantha gives a mirthless chuckle. "You make it my decision? No fair, little one. Oh... The lives changed by his actions. The risks he took on their behalf. I would sentence the man to life for the gravest offense, to be served concurrently with all the rest. With," she hastens to add, "an offer of... indefinite conscription. Worse, lower-minded people have been given that deal. I could convince Edward to take it, if I can talk to him first.

Jacob nods gravely at that. "That sounds reasonable. But I must make one thing clear: he will never hold a leadership position ever again. He lied not only to his subordinates and his friends, but also to his family. His father, you, and your son. We cannot trust him like that again."

"And I am still acting like he didn't, bells." She falls silent for a moment. Then she confidently stands up from the bench. "Thank you. I'm ready now.

The fairy stands up as well. "Where do you want to talk to him?"

"Bring him here. He needs a reminder of all he's fighting for and the people he's hurt."

Jacob nods, and a second later, disappears. Then, a shadow falls on Sam as Edward materializes in front of her, looking the same he did two hundred years ago. His back is turned to her, so he hasn't noticed her yet. He looks around, trying to process what just happened to him.

Sam takes a step backwards, knowing what could happen, and mutters a word with several meanings between them that only they understand the context for. "Hiraeth."

Edward tenses up at this word, but then immediately relaxes and turns around to face her. He looks tired. More so than in her past visits. After a moment of hesitation, he sighs and finally says, "Hello, Samantha."

A mix of feelings roil beneath Samantha's air of civility, but she doesn't move. "Hello, Eddie."

Like two players mirroring each other with their first moves in a game of chess, she waits for an opening.

At first, Edward does nothing but stare at her, until his gaze begins to wander around the backyard. Finally, he speaks. "Jacob isn't here?"

"He chose this spot, but I wanted to talk to you alone. And we have a lot to get into." Her face hardens.

He squints. "Do we? What I did was pretty self-explanatory, was it not?"

Samantha springboards off on a tirade, her voice intensifying as it progresses. "I wanted to hear about it directly from you. But I know everything, so I guess there's no need for an lengthy summary. You enabled suffering and caused some of your own, not to mention masterminding two civil wars. To kickstart an early war with the Enemy and win, I think? without involving me, our son, our family?"

Edward frowns and stiffens at Samantha's retort, but he presses on. "Yes. Because I knew what you would say. You, Marcus, Jacob. We've been building our defenses for two hundred years, Sam, but we're no closer to victory! We need to strike while we can before the Elementals realize that subterfuge isn't the answer! But now...now it may already be too late. Monsters are springing up all over the Archipelago, and we're already losing people fighting them while our enemies grow stronger. The only mistake I made is not doing this sooner."

The man closes his eyes in defeat.

"Sooner? All that you've done would only have made things worse if you had done it sooner. For one, I would have been awake for it. And it would not have been worth it! You went alone, you caused a schism, you turned people against their fellow man instead of uniting them, you betrayed our trust, you betrayed my trust, after I had only tried to share your burden!" She steps forward and takes his hand in hers. "Do you understand? It is better to be stronger together than going our own ways just to find a quicker end to our problems! I had tried everything I could think of to help you! Even now, I am still trying!" Her voice begins to tremble.

Edward keeps his lips pressed together as he listens to Samantha's pleading, but momentarily freezes when she tells him that he caused a schism. He stares at her, unmoving, then seemingly starts breathing again. "If those three hadn't interfered, everything would be fine. I would have united the Archipelago under one banner, and the Elementals would have nowhere left to run. Victory would be within our grasp!"

Samantha's eyes begin to heat up. Her beloved may as well be looking through her. "And after the last Elemental is destroyed, then what? When your deeds come back to haunt you, when a different Enemy comes for you, would you have laid down your sword?"

His features soften, and he says, "That was the whole point. To lay down our arms. To *rest*. We've been at this for centuries, Sam. Aren't you tired of it? Because I am, and if you aren't yet, you will be."

Samantha blinks away a few tears. "The joys that I have felt made it worth not rushing to the end. When I felt my strength wane, I turned away from the war and I borrowed it from you, and I lent it back when I knew you needed it most. My time will come when it is done, or when I no longer have someone to lean on. I will not hurry to meet it."

Edward ponders her response, his expression apparently impassive. After knowing him for more than two centuries however, Sam is certain that she's managed to sow a seed of doubt in his mind, even it it's small. Maybe that is why he changes the subject. "So, what now? Will Jacob destroy my orb? Imprison my current body?"

The stoic sign of inner reflection grants Samantha a ray of hope that soothes her trembling voice. "They're going to give you life. They will consider giving you compulsory service, if you ask for it, but there won't be a chance for you to earn their trust back." She squeezes his hand.

"Hmph." He frowns. Although he hasn't squeezed back Samantha's hand, he hasn't removed his hand either. "I suppose it's better than wasting my years behind bars. Although, I doubt I will see combat against the Elementals in this lifetime."

Sam withdraws her hand. She has a mind to remind him how angry she is, if it wouldn't kill the seed before it can grow. "It's something to look forward to at least. Till then... I'll see you when I see you, Eddie."

Her husband—or former husband might be more accurate—fixes his gaze on her for a long moment before he finally replies. "Take care, Sam."

A few seconds later, Edward disappears and is replaced by Jacob once more. He has a morose expression on his face. "I'm sorry, Sam. I had hoped..."

He doesn't finish his sentence.

Sam shakes her head, and wipes her eyes. "He's always masked his doubts behind his stoicism, Jacob. It might not look like it, but I got him thinking, and he'll have all the time in the world to think about something besides this war. So leave him to it, but don't give up. We'll know where we stand once he's ready. We just have to be patient."

The fairy considers her words before he nods and gives her a small smile. "I can be patient. But what about you?" He approaches her and puts a comforting hand on her cheek. "Would you like to spend some time with the others? I'm sure Nick, Smirk and May would immediately come for you if you ask for it."

She smiles back. "Sure. A few rounds of poker, some wine... She starts to croak, and swallows it, taking a few shaky breaths before continuing. "That, or whatever May cooks up. That would not be unwelcome right now."

"I'll talk to them." Jacob lands on Sam's right shoulder and looks at the tree line, legs jangling in the air. "Anything you wanna do before I put you back to sleep? We have time."

"Okay. Why don't we go for a walk?"

He nods. "Let's go. I remember these woods well, so we can walk a lot. Well, you can."

Jacob smiles at her and grabs onto her earlobe. Looks like he's planning to stay seated on her shoulder.

Sam chuckles. "Good, you can show me all of your favorite spots again." She walks into the forest to go on a nature hike, with Jacob tugging her ear.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 8th interlude: Two centuries of memories   8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jan 2024, 7:04 pm

Nick and Anne

Nick opens his eyes and finds himself back in his old body, on a cliff overlooking the ocean. It's the place where he asked Anne's hand in marriage.

Sitting on the grass next to him is Jacob, looking like his younger self. "Hi, Nick," he says.

"Jacob..!" he half-exclaims, then he remembers what it is he's here for and the melancholy kicks in. "So it's time, huh."

"Yes." The fairy looks at the waves roll toward the land as the winds gently caresses their faces. "I...I haven't talked to her since she was pulled from Fedler's head. I thought it'd be better if you were the first face she sees."

Nick nods, slowly. "Yeah..." He almost sounds like he's about to say something else, but he restrains himself. Then after a moment, "Jacob. I... have no idea how this is gonna go." He trails off as he thinks a little more. "I want to help her. But someone trying to drag her back into this is the last thing she needs right now."

"Well, I'd appreciate it if you could convince her not to erase her orb at the very least." He looks at Nick, his stare empty. "I'd rather not do it. She's my friend."

The mention of Anne's erasure strikes a spark of terror past Nick's face. He swallows hard, then takes a breath, "You know you don't have to convince me of that."

He looks away, not wanting to show his face right now even though he knows it's pointless.

Jacob remains silent for a few seconds. "I know," he calmly replies. "But you've seen her. She's hurting. More than any of us. After her mission as Marie Lavoie, I'd planned to assign her to another job. Something more clerical. I could feel her mind being stretched to its limits. Then Edward came in and made it all that much worse."

He ponders for a moment, then adds, "I'm sorry."

Jacob's apology makes something in Nick turn angry, and he starts. "I..." but quickly bites it down and stops himself. "Sorry. All that matters now is to help her."

Jacob hangs his head down in shame. "...Whenever you're ready."

"Hey..." He looks at him. "Don't listen to me. It's... I know what it's like to be the one that has to make the call. If... if I wanted things to go different, I should have fought harder for it... for her. If you're at fault for what happened, her husband is a whole lot more." He closes his eyes for a second. "Ok, I’m ready."

The fairy looks back at Nick, a few tears welling up in his eyes, but he blinks them away and stands up. "I'll go speak to Smirk in the meantime. Good luck, Nick."

He then disappears. A few seconds pass before the silhouette of his wife begins to materialize not far from him. Then suddenly, she's there, the same age as she was when he met her.
Her back is turned to him, but she begins to look around to get her bearings before her gaze falls on Nick. The moment she sees him, she freezes.

Nick hesitates a moment. Then picks up his resolve and slowly walks up to her. When he's finally close enough, he gently raises his arms and lets his hands lay on her shoulders. He leans in ever so slightly and tells her softly, "Don't protest this time, ok?"

Anne stiffens at his touch, but is too in shock to say anything. She meets his gaze, unable to react.

Ever so gently, Nick takes her in his arms and wraps her up in his embrace. Not so tight that she can't escape if she wants to, but tight enough to let her know he's not going anywhere.

At first, she doesn't respond, keeping still instead. Then slowly, she brings her head up his back and buries her head in his neck. It seems like it'll end there, but soon, a sob escapes her throat. Then more follows, until she starts to bawl like she never has before.

Nick restrains himself for a moment, but can't hold back the sigh of relief that eventually escapes him. He keeps holding her in his arms for a little while, but then remembers to take a page from Mihai's book and gently brings up his hand to her head, and starts to softly stroke her hair.

They stay in this position for nearly ten minutes before Anne calms down, exhausted by all the crying she's done. Her body goes limp in Nick's arms, and she finally falls silent. A long time passes, but she doesn't say anything or move at all. It goes long enough that it worries Nick.

"I'm sorry, Anne," he whispers. "I should have... I should have done something, even if everyone would hate me."

She doesn't respond, nor moves.

Worried now, he gently takes her shoulders and nudges her back so he can get a look at her face.
Her gaze is empty, and she is unresponsive to his touch. Although she appears to be aware of his presence judging by how her eyes react to his movements, she remains completely passive. She'd probably fall to the ground if he didn't hold her.

Nick looks around for the place where they had the picnic on the day he proposed to her. He walks her over, sitting them down on the shade of the tree in a way that she can just lean on him and rest. He puts his arm around her to make her comfortable, as he gently strokes her hair.

"Remember when we'd picnic out here? There was this squirrel, would try to sneak by and grab the odd strawberry. We'd kinda shoo it, at first you didn't want me to notice you giggling, but... I knew."

Anne doesn't respond, but he can feel her head shift slightly, as if to get a better view of the ocean.

"You're not thinking about the time I came out of the water wearing an octopus for a hat, are you? It's not my fault what comes up with the surf, took me forever to wash the ink out of my hair, and you wouldn't stop making fun of me the whole time."

Only silence answers him. It doesn't seem like this anecdote had any effect either, until surprisingly, she places her hand on top of his.

Nick gently turns his hand up to meet hers, and tentatively starts to interlock their fingers. "I remember acting all relieved when I finally washed it off... yeah, finally gotten rid of all the muck and the..." He half-heartedly mocks himself.  "I couldn't wait to somehow fall into the next stupid thing. Didn't care what it was, so long as it made you laugh like that again." He hesitates for a moment, then leans in slowly and plants a soft kiss on her hair.

Anne remains still and doesn't voice any protest against the kiss. The only reaction he notices from her is her hand squeezing his a little tighter. Then, after a moment of silence, she finally speaks. "I'm tired..."

With his arm around her back, Nick gently nudges her to snuggle in and get comfortable. "This shade always did make me sleepy."

Anne rests her head on Nick as she usually did when she prepared to go to sleep. "Yeah..."

His right hand lovingly entwined with hers, Nick gently raises his left and starts to softly stroke her hair, allowing himself to be turned into the best pillow he can be.

Anne falls asleep not long after that, and an hour passes with the two of them in this position. When she finally stirs from her sleep, Anne slowly moves away from Nick and rubs her eyes as she attempts to get her bearings.

Nick feasts his eyes on the sight of Anne rubbing hers, just like she used to do two hundred years ago, daring perhaps to hope for a yawn and a bit of morning voice. Unfortunately, the best she manages is a groan. She then looks around and sees Nick, after which she widens her eyes in shock as she realizes where they are.

Nick sighs. "I was hoping so bad for a yawn."

His comment disarms her for an instant, and she can only gape at him in silence. She recovers quickly however and replies, "We're not really sleeping."

Nick shakes his head. "I wanted to see you. Without any..." he trails off. "Once Smirk got Mihai's friends back safe to the city, I asked Breeze to pull me out of his head. So, Jacob is the only way we can see each other right now. Sorry, I know you don't like it but I couldn't leave things the way they were at the parliament."

"Hmph." She wraps her arms around her knees and stares ahead of them. "...What, then? You wanted to speak?"

Nick shrugs. "Wanted to hold you in my arms real tight, until I knew you were ok. As for speaking, I..." he trails off for a moment. "Anne, you know everything I’m gonna say. For a long time, I was almost content just to say it and then sit back and grumble, because there was a part of me that thought maybe you and Jacob were right and I should bite it down." He sighs in frustration. "That's until I saw what Edward did, what he almost used me for. And until I saw what it all did to you. So I’m taking a stand from on, I’m not letting them take advantage of you or anyone else again."

Anne keeps her eyes forward while she listens to Nick. She lets a long moment pass before she gives a response. "I'm the one who decides what I do, Nick. Not you."

Nick doesn't miss a beat, as he hardens his resolve for what he must say. "Until Edward says that's an order? Until you outright lose the will to live? Why am I the only one that can't ever change your mind, Anne?"

Anne frowns and flattens her lips into a thin line, now glaring at him, ready to snap back at him. Instead, she deflates and hides her head behind her arms as she wraps them tighter around her knees.

"Hey..." Nick scoots over to her. "You know I’ve got your back. You know I love you - it hasn't been a cool thing to say between us for the past century, but you know I do, you've always known. And you know you can trust me."

"Don't say that. I'm horrible." Her voice is hoarse, and Nick has known her long enough that he can tell she's crying.

Nick takes her in his arms. "I should have said it every day for the past hundred years until it got through. That it took this long doesn't speak very well for me either."

She doesn't resist him, but she keeps her face hidden. "I don't want to go back," she cries. "It...it hurts too much."

Nick holds her just a little tighter. "Annie... all I care about is you. Not what you can do, not how well you can do it. You. You understand? No one is bringing you back if you don't want to. And if anyone ever dares, they'll have me for an enemy."

After a moment of silence, Anne nods, then remains immobile. A minute passes during which she composes herself, after which she says, "I don't know what to do."

"Well..." Nick offers, still embracing her. "I was thinking we could stay like this for a little while. I mean, sucks that it's just Orb magic but it's the first time I have you in my arms in over a century. I kinda don't want it to end." His fingers run softly across her hair. "After that..." he starts, but quickly rejects that line of thought. "...what do you say we don't worry about that, for once? This right here is all I need right now."

She nods again, weakly. "Hmm. Okay. " She then lets herself relax against Nick and rests her head against his chest.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 8th interlude: Two centuries of memories   8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jan 2024, 2:53 am

Konrad and Femke

When the feats begins to wind down, Konrad decides it's time to make an exit. He and Femke stand up from their seats and wish good night to everyone at their table.

Mihai and Steve give their usual responses, while Zelk, Adam and Filarion politely wish them good night as well. Naomi ignores Konrad and Femke, and drinks from her tankard instead. As for Breeze, Fluffle and Fedler, they're more energetic than the others, smiling at Konrad and Femke as they wish them good night.

The couple walk down the hallway and head toward the main stairs in the main hall, but not before passing by the lounge where they see Amber and Pawel playing a game of chess.
The smiling guests and years of practice aid in keeping the mask of merriment glued to the former pirate's face, and Naomi's frosty demeanor sticks in the back of his thoughts as he walks with Femke until they both reach their room.

"Well, what do you think of our friends?" he asks as he takes a seat on the sofa.

Femke gazes at Konrad, pondering his question, before she sits down next to him and says, "They were very nice. But are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm peachy, merely dwelling on some bad history. I didn't want to spoil the night."

The young Tyke stares at the red mage for a few more seconds. She then puts her hand on top of his and says, "We're a couple, right? You can confide in me if you wish."

Konrad's mask starts to melt at the rate of a lit wax candle. "I have no need for consolation, but I suppose I will have to tell it for your sake if not for mine."

In response, Femke tightens her grip just a smidge. Just enough to let him know she cares.
As if to a wordless reply, he says, "Very well." He leans back on the sofa. "There was a woman I used to be interested in. This was before I returned to Myr. She felt the same way, but I spurned her, I fooled myself into thinking it would be a doomed affair. In spite of that, I wouldn't let her go, but I only ended up being false with her and scaring her. That woman was Naomi, and now we've run into her again. I dare say it isn't going well. I have no idea what she must be feeling right now, and when I say I scared her... she ran from me, is what I meant. I wish that we could speak candidly, but I don't believe the time is right."

Femle listens closely to Konrad, her expression as impassive as always. Once he's finished speaking, she considers the situation for a moment before she scoots a little closer to him. "Do you wish you could apologize to her?"

"I do... Are you offering to help?"

She nods. "I could tell her you wish to apologize for your previous behavior. Maybe she will agree to listen to you."

Konrad is about to shut it down, but stops and considers the offer. "I would not count on it. This wasn't the first time I've hurt someone, you know. Naomi's been avoiding me every time I cross her path. She's not ready to talk to me."

"Then at least you'll have tried."

Konrad looks into Femke's eyes and brushes her hair behind her ear. He adjusts the feather he gave her as a gift. "Then you should know that I wrote her a letter with my apology after I transgressed on her sanity. In it I promised she would never see me again if she did not return it. She never did, to my knowledge."

There's a long pause. "I see," Femke says, then ponders his words a little longer. "In this case, you're right. You shouldn't try to contact her again. Please, wait here."

She stands up and leaves the room.

Konrad looks around, bewildered. When he starts wondering when Femke will be back, he tries to weave mundane rings with less magic than when he started, according to Jasmine's advice.
Nearly ten minutes have passed by the time Femke returns to the room. When she does, she is immediately followed by Naomi, who briefly looks around the room before settling her gaze on Konrad. Naomi exchanges a look with Femke, and Femke nods back at her. Naomi hesitates a little, but then she steps forward and locks eyes with Konrad.

"Konrad," she says, her tone rigid.

The curt address prompts Konrad to get up, alarmed that Naomi had shown up and Femke had followed her. "Hello, Naomi... I see you and Femke have finally been introduced."

"Yes," Naomi replies. "She told me you wanted to speak, but didn't want to break your promise to me. Looks like it was true."

"It was all true. I didn't want to hurt you, Naomi, but I did anyway, because I was only thinking about myself. I'm sorry."

The young woman examines Konrad, clearly on her guard, but soon begins to relax. "Yeah. You were a real asshole."

"Yes I was, and the world's too small to afford so many assholes in it. Especially if you and I going to keep running into each other. So I hope you can forgive me for being one asshole too many. I'd feel awful if you were going to dread every gathering around Steve and Zelk."

Konrad's last sentence makes Naomi widen her eyes, seemingly in surprise. "Well, it might be a bit too early for forgiveness. Maybe give me a few days to really wrap my head around it. But yeah, I think we can make it work." She pauses. "Thank you for not making me regret coming here."

"Of course. And I should thank you for not reporting me when you were within your right. I was... afraid that the army might come down on me any day.

"Zelk would have been too fast for them. She would have whooped your ass." Silence hangs in the air for an instant. "I'm gonna go back to the feast. Good night, Konrad."

When she waits on a reply, Konrad echoes back, "Goodnight."

Naomi nods at him and then leaves the room. Femke follows her and exchanges a few words with her outside before she comes back, a small smile on her face.

"I was not expecting that to come so soon. When you're asked to set up an awkward reunion, you don't waste any time at all.

"This was the best time to ask her. You are not angry at me, are you...?"

Konrad shakes his head. "No, I'm glad that you did this. I'm rather impressed, too. You are remarkable, Femke." He smiles.

Her smile widens, and she walks up to Konrad until they're face to face. "Thank you, but you don't have to say that. I know I have less to offer than human women."

Konrad kisses her. "Nonsense. If there's a will, there's a way, I'm sure.

Femke welcomes the kiss, but then gently puts her hands on his chest so she can talk to him. "Konrad, I don't want there to be any misunderstanding..." She hesitates. "I cannot give you a child. I would like to, but it's impossible. Our technology will never be capable of such a feat."

"Your technology, yes. Outside intervention is still possible... but if even they fail, then so be it. I thought of this when I made up my mind for you. The Ruinous Powers That Be may not allow it, but they cannot disallow motherhood, and the demand for mothers never wanes."

The Tyke starts to blush. "If you're willing to have me, I'd be happy to try. Even if my kin might disagree."

"'Disagree'? That sounds like a toothless sentiment. Why would they disagree in the first place?"

"Because there's no protocol for that possibility. I'm... not sure what they'll think about it."

Konrad smiles. "That reminds me of a question I asked before. Whoever sets the protocol...that makes them the ones in charge, doesn't it?"

Femke nods. "Yes. That would be Mildred."

"So, Mildred is your master. She makes the protocol, you all follow the protocol, nobody disobeys the protocol... Are these your laws?"

"This is a close enough approximation. We're allowed some latitude outside of Medial."

"I see. Okay. It's getting late and I don't want you to think I'm stalling. Come to bed, I'll ask you the rest in the morning." He kisses her as his hands roam her curves, and leads her toward the bed.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 8th interlude: Two centuries of memories   8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jan 2024, 11:26 pm

Mihai, Maeva and Charles

Once the party has started to die down, Mihai and Fedler decide it’s time to call it a night and to take their leave. As they walk together down the hallway, they notice that Amber, Pawel and a couple of other Myrzens have gathered in the lounge to play a game of cards. Fedler smiles at that and continues toward the entrance hall.

So, you said you were going to talk to your friends?” she asks.

Yeah...” Mihai confirms, as his voice becomes slightly heavy. “A year ago, Marcus warned me that if I knew what he did, my life would never be the same again. But this is different. Them and me and... we've been buried in this mess up to our necks since we were kids, we just didn't know about it. I can't not tell them.

The two of them arrive at the bottom of the double staircase, and Fedler stops on the first step. "Well, I'll be waiting for you in our room. But make sure to wake me up if I'm asleep, alright?"

I might watch you sleep for a minute or two first, but sure.

The redhead chuckles. "Come on, let's go."

They climb up the stairs and continue down the hallway, but Mihai stops at the door where he knows his friends are staying. Fedler says goodbye to Mihai and goes to their room while he remains here, alone.

He knocks on the door, and after a few seconds, Charles opens it. "Mihai! That was quick. Come on in! Ev is taking a shower now."

Mihai walks in. “After marching all the way out here, I’m guessing that's the best use of running water of the whole year.

"That, and the bed." He points to the large, fluffy bed sitting against the wall while he takes a seat in one of the armchairs located next to the magic-powered heater. He offers a seat to Mihai. "Want anything to drink? We could ring up something from the kitchen."

Mihai sits down. “Thanks, but I’m abstaining till...” he trails off, it somehow still doesn't seem real until he catches himself. “...until the baby's born.

Charles grins. "Of course you are. I shouldn't even be surprised. How are you taking the news?"

Mihai hesitates. “Actually wanted to ask you. What was it like, when... I mean, were you scared? I mean, apart from the whole thing after the docks and the safehouse, when you had time to actually stop and think about it.

"Hmm. Not at first, no. It didn't seem real. Then her belly started showing, and..." He thinks about it for a second before he shrugs it off, still smiling. "Then I couldn't stop thinking about it. Every moment of my life. Wondering how the hell I could become a father when I could barely take care of myself and Ev."

Eh, I hear ya.” Mihai sits back and sighs. “We were gonna quit. Our contracts expired a few weeks ago, we were gonna move to the Citadel and settle down. Then went on a last job, and...” He shakes his head. “I'll give you the whole story once Ev gets here.

"You're gonna be fine, Mihai," Charles says in confident tone. "I mean, you just mowed down a whole army out there! Raising a kid is nothing next to that."

Mihai shrugs. “Well, we did fly over the army to get to our target.” Then he becomes somber. “The Fairies lost one of their own getting us there, I... know it could have been so much worse, but... Breeze, you met her earlier, I actually met her a year past in Waterglass. She was all innocent and full of energy, and... none of them have ever had to deal with the death of one of their own. I guess I was dumb enough to believe they could actually get through a war without losing that piece of themselves.

His friend shakes his head. "It was always going to happen, one way or another." He is about to continue when she shower stops and they head Ev come out of it. Instead, he turns toward the bathroom door and says, "Ev! Mihai is here!"

"Oh, hey! Mihai! Is your redhead here with you?"

Sorry, went ahead to our room. Don't worry, I think she liked you.

"Oh, that's good to know! Gimme a minute, I'll be right out."

Both Mihai and Charles wait for her, discussing how little she has changed since the last time they saw each other. When she comes out of the bathroom, she's wearing a bathrobe and is wrapping a towel around her head.

"Mihai! Couldn't wait to see us again, huh?"

Yeah.” He chuckles, but then becomes somber. “But also, I had to talk to you.

"Sure. What about?"

She sits down in the other armchair next to her husband, and they wait for Mihai to continue.
I don't even know where to start...” Mihai tries to steel himself. “I told Xave already, me and Fedler were gonna quit the Coins and settle down once we came back from our last job. That was a few weeks ago, we were just supposed to be guarding some cargo, nothing out of the ordinary. Then...” Mihai thinks back, as if in near disbelief that the events of the last few weeks were actually real. “Everything went to hell in a handbasket. We all nearly died, Fedler got kidnapped. And in chasing her down throughout the Archipelago, I’ve come to learn things that... ” He trails off. “The civil war here, the coup in Emerald, even the timing for the succession tournament in Odwaz, they were all orchestrated by the same people. I faced down one of them back outside the wall, same bastard that I met a year ago in Waterglass...

Mihai tells them all about the Waterglass incident, then everything concerning the Elementals that befell him after the Narrowfist job, culminating in the Mimic making off with his memories earlier today.

Maeva and Charles listen attentively to Mihai's tale, their expressions turning serious the more they hear. Once he's finished, they remain silent for a moment as they ponder the implications of everything he's just told them. Suddenly, Maeva groans in frustration and removes the towel from her now dried head. "I'm hungry. I'm gonna order a snack Do you want anything?"

Charles stares at her for a second and shakes his head.

"Mihai?"

Mihai thinks for a second. “Eh, I’m good.

Maeva rings the kitchen, grabs the menu, and sits back down in the armchair. "So, what are you going to do?" she asks.

Mihai sighs. “Got a kid on the way now, like to see her grow up and play with Frankie - without any stories about my love life until she's 30, if you don't mind.” Then his stare becomes distant. “That fiery bastard, though, he showed us what they're doing now, probably as we're sitting here. Burning everyone in Aurus, one village at a time... I'd give anything to hear Frank sound off on this, just once, but I know I gotta do something about it. The Mimic expects us to play defense for so long, we'll never see him coming.” He shakes his head. “Whatever I do, it's not gonna be that.

He looks up at them. “I'm taking the fight to the bastards, one way or another.

Charles and Maeva exchange a glance, after which Charles leans forward in his chair and says, "Well, you can count on us."

Mihai's jaw drops a little, then he looks down and lets out a small chuckle. Of course he can count on them. “I... thanks, guys.” Mihai goes quiet for a few seconds. “There's uh... something else though, not quite as sensational as what I just told you, but it's the reason I tried pitching you to come back with me to the Feathers before.” He mulls over how to say it, but he figures best to just spit it out. “Malik was the one that had me tortured when I was a kid. He needed an excuse to go to war with the Bêtes back then, so he sold me out to two of their goons, and uh...” He trails off.

He's no better than Edward. For my money, he'd have probably ambushed us in that warehouse just the same.” He looks at them. “I sprang at the chance to get Amber back - and away from him - the day I found out. The thought of having anyone I care about anywhere near him, well...” He shakes his head.

Both of then frown at the revelation that Malik is responsible for Mihai's injuries.

"Wait, what do you mean he tortured you?!" Maeva exclaims. "Why didn't you tell us?!"

I only found out just before new year, that story... is a mess all of its own. Ever since then, i've been wanting to come back and get you all away from him.

"Didn't you think to write?!"

"Ev..." Charles begins, only to be immediately interrupted.

"Do not tell me to calm down! I just learned we've been working for someone willing to torture a kid, and this guy didn't think to tell us!"

Maeva stares daggers at Mihai, her cheeks red with anger.

You were still bound to the syndicate after they paid for your training! You wanted to just run off like I did? Malik wouldn't have let it fly three times, not without me here to help you!” He takes a breath. “My condition to him for winning this war was the he free both of you. He doesn't know that I know, I’ve been biting my tongue every time he put his hand on my shoulder when all I’ve wanted to do was cut it off,” he explains, struggling to contain his anger as the latter events come to mind.

Then he just sighs. “I'm sorry, Ev. I couldn't think to do better.

"Yeah, you better be sorry. That was really dumb." With her arms crosses, she keeps glaring at Mihai for several seconds before she unexpectedly throws her arms around his shoulders and hugs him close. "I'm also sorry you had to go through that."

Mihai hugs her back. “Thanks. It was a long time ago. I just need to get out of here before my hand slips and I ram my sword down his throat.

When she finally lets him go, Mihai notices that her eyes are suspiciously teary, but her husband steps forward just in time to hide her face while he places a comforting hand on Mihai's shoulder. "We'll leave Villevieille," he states calmly. "If for no other reason that we can't risk Frank getting caught up into another one of his schemes."

"Damn right," Maeva adds.

Mihai nods. “Yeah.

The three of them make some more small talk in an attempt to brighten their mood. Once their smiles and laughs come more naturally, they decide it's time to go to bed. They say good night to which other and Mihai returns to his room, passing by a few drunk Myrzen warriors who are staggering toward their own rooms.

Mihai arrives in his room and finds Fedler asleep in their bed. He goes to wake her just like he promised he would, but only after he watched her sleep for a minute or two...
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 8th interlude: Two centuries of memories   8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jan 2024, 11:34 pm

Konrad and Femke

Konrad awakens from a restful slumber, expecting to feel Femke’s warm presence at his side, but finds her sitting in one of the armchairs instead, a plate of food sitting on the low table next to her.

Good morning,” she says, a shy smile on her face.

Konrad grunts and stretches and then sits up. "Good morning. Did I sleep late?"

No. The sun rose an hour ago,” Femke answers. “I had breakfast brought up. Your favorites.
She motions to the plate of food.

"Oh, really?" Konrad lazily gets up and puts on the underpants, then glances over at the plate, on which sits a breakfast meat piroshki next to a side of potatoes. It is a large baked bun filled with cooked egg, pork, peppers and cheese, with butter melted over the top.

"Give me a minute." He puts on a shirt and pants from the armoire and goes to sit by the Tyke. "That's fancy. I regret not having this during our visit to Odwaz... They went above and beyond just for us?" He cuts into the crust of his piroshki, causing steam to aerate from the opening, and has a bite. He savors the taste of paradise that assaults his tongue as he chews slowly.

Femke has ordered the same meal for herself and starts to dig into it the instant Konrad does. "Gertrude told us we could order anything we wanted. I assume they could also have expected your compatriots to order the same meal."

Konrad has another couple of bites in silence, then tries the potatoes - too hot. "I said wanted to learn more about you. Some questions are coming to me now."

The Tyke stops eating, spoon still in her mouth, eyes fixed on Konrad. Then she starts chewing again and swallows her mouthful. "Go ahead."

"Well, I'd like to hear more about your training and your life on Medial. What was your training like? What else did you do? Did you have friends?

Femke seemingly freezes at this question. A long moment passes before she finally answers. "Life on Medial isn't like what you expect. And if you wish to hear about it, you must promise never to tell anyone else."

"No one?"

"No one. Not even Mihai and Steve. I am not authorized to share any information about Medial to any human."

"You have my word. I promise I will take that knowledge to the grave," Konrad whispers, concern pouring into his voice. "But I don't wish to get you into trouble. If there is any rule saying that you aren't allowed to tell me, then let's leave it.

"But...I can't tell you about me without telling you about Medial." She takes a moment to consider. "I...want you to learn more about me."

Konrad shrugs in thought, looking for a compromise. "What about... how you are different from each other? Who you get along with and who you don't?"

Femke examines Konrad's behavior, unsure on how to proceed. "Are you asking about my life back in Medial? Or how it is now?"

Konrad closes his eyes in contemplation and looks at Femke again. "I thought we were...'authorized' after we were allowed to learn about your history and your mission. Now I'm only making you unsure. Yes, I do want to learn more about you, Femke. Nothing you say will leave this room, I promise."

She nods, seemingly satisfied by the outcome of their discussion. "In that case, I can tell you that we were...‘unintentionally’ designed to be similar to one another. Which is why I am very similar to the others, physically and mentally. Although, I suppose I have begun to differentiate myself ever since I joined you..."

Konrad thinks about the implications of that, how the Tykes, at least in each generation, are all the same in body and mind. "I see. We are a bit like that too, but this makes you one-of-a-kind among your own people. I think that's wonderful."

She blushes a little. "Thank you, but like I said, we were unintentionally designed this way. The reason we are physically so similar is because Mildred did not possess enough references to truly differentiate us from one another; a lot of information was lost in the war and the chaos that followed. As for our similar demeanor, I believe the fault rests in the way our minds were conceived."

Konrad smiles. "Sorry, I'd like to return to that, but I have to ask - how do your cheeks fill up red like that if your blood isn't like ours?"

"Oh. It's because of the transfunctional characteristic of our blood, which activates when a certain stimuli is registered by the nervous system. The mimicry protocol that has been hardcoded into our bodies allows the process to happen seamlessly."

"I see. 'Hardcoded'? I'm not sure what that is, but that's good to know, I think." Konrad takes another bite of his food. "So, you were saying something about a fault in the creation of your minds?"

"Not a fault, per se. Before we inhabited these bodies, our minds were conceived in a separate device, then printed upon our brains. All of our minds are based on a standard blueprint that gave us the knowledge to operate independently from one another the moment we were activated. In summary, we are able to think, talk and act like a human adult the minute we awaken. At least, that was the objective."

"And all of this happens without any magic at all? That's remarkable. I wonder if a magical formula could aid in differentiating Tykes from each other in mind at the moment of creation.

"I don't know. I'm not sure magic could even be integrated into our technology. In any case, I believe the environment we were raised in did not provide much opportunities for us to grow into unique individuals. Some of us received training that specialized in one domain or another, but the basis of our education remained the same."

Konrad massages his neck and jaw against the grain of his morning stubble. "Bells, that sounds... tedious. Did you ever get bored?"

"Bored? No, I—" She catches herself and falls silent. It's clear that this not a question she had asked herself before. "Maybe I was bored. We regularly were allowed to rest, but our teachers did not provide us opportunities for leisure. Playing games was an exercise in imitation, so that we may blend effortlessly into the human population once we would be outside Medial. I preferred to go outside and take a stroll outside the complex."

Konrad pauses from eating and places a hand gently on her shoulder. She may still want to eat, after all. "And that's where you saw the flowers?

She slowly nods. "They have been planted upon the graves of the last generations of humans who lived on Medial. We tend to them to this day."

"That sounds like a somber task. You said you went there to think. What did you gain from those moments?

"I'm...not sure. I think I gained peace of mind more than anything else. Now that I think about it, the training was suffocating, but it also gave us purpose. I still want to fulfill that purpose, but now I found another purpose for myself."

She looks at Konrad with tender eyes.

Konrad smiles. "You're very sweet. I wouldn't want to get in the way of what's important to you, and at the same time I'm flattered you consider me important."

Never one to let a good moment go to waste, he leans in for a kiss.

Of course, Femke reciprocates Konrad's affection, but instead of deepening like she often does, she pulls away from him and says, surprised, "You taste like potatoes."

Konrad laughs. "That's fine, so do you!"

Femke frowns, licks her lower lip, then says, "I do not."

"You so do taste like potatoes. Are you trying to fool me? Here lemme make sure." He goes in and steals a kiss. Just to be absolutely certain he did taste potatoes and hasn't gone crazy, of course.

The young woman giggles before she pushes him away. "We should finish our meal. It's getting cold."

Konrad flashes her a content grin and digs into his food in silence.

When they are both done, he says, "One more question. It's about Conan. I hope you don't mind."

"Hmm? What about him?"

"Well, I wanted to know more about his mission and how he got captured, if you were at liberty to talk about it. But the last time I mentioned him to you, you went stiff. It made me think that you were bothered about something."

"Oh. It's simply because you had broached a subject I was not at liberty to discuss. His mission was the same as ours: to infiltrate human society and gain information that would be beneficial to our mission. Unfortunately, Lorinthian agents noticed him and captured him. By the time Faith had gathered enough agents to attempt a rescue, you had already encountered him and allowed him to escape on his own."

"Ah, okay. Just out of interest, what generation is he?

"The first, just like Faith."

Konrad nods in understanding. "Alright, well thank you for bringing me breakfast! I should thank the kitchen staff as well, this was delicious. I'm going to go wash up, and then I'd like to introduce you to Breeze and see if your mind will accept one of these, like the rest of us have.” He explains, bringing his hand to his forehead to pull the love globule out to show her what he's talking about.

"Me and lady Breeze have already been introduced. She is a very kind girl, and I would love to speak to her again. However, I am not sure it would be safe to put one of these orbs inside my head..."

"Why? Would something interfere with that? Does your generation still have a magic core...?"

She shakes her head. "There is no ambient magic inside the Shield, except for around the Core. Our technology never relied on magic, so I have no idea what would happen if that orb was inserted into my head. Maybe nothing would happen. Or maybe it would kill me."

Konrad stands up, getting ready to move out. "Hmm. I would still like to try to know for sure. I am a master Weaver. Between me and Jacob, we might be able to determine if it would be safe, but even then it would be ultimately at your option...?

"I would rather avoid such experimentation unless it was absolutely necessary."

"Alright, I'll drop it." Konrad moves around the table and makes his way to the door to their room, turns and flashes a smoldering look her way. "Coming with?"

Femke stands up, quickly straightens her shirt, and with a smile, she says, "I am. Wait for me."

Konrad stands there with his hand on the doorknob until Femke joins him at the door, turning it and departing with her following out behind him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8th interlude: Two centuries of memories   8th interlude: Two centuries of memories Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8th interlude: Two centuries of memories
Page 1 of 1