A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kolson

Kolson

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 10:53 pm

"I don't know, but why don't we go see? If she does have something like that it should be easier to spot now that I know to look." She pulls out a strange device, a multifaceted gem on a stick. "My secret weapon, a Gem of Seeing. It will let me see through any illusions."

Gem of Seeing:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 10:57 pm

"Wow." Hunter gazes spellbound at this cool thing for a moment. "Alright, let's go see her."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 11:26 pm

The group of you walk over to the tent, dual entourages in tow. The crowd that is following Kathryn around stays out of the Oak Glade for the most part but they follow along the edges trying to see the Knight. Members of Symania's band watch all of you walk over to the tent, indeed, the tent's owner is waiting for you guys out front by the time you arrive. She's pretty enough, with short copper hair and yellow-orange eyes. She's just barely taller than Carlos, with an athletic build. Symania introduces everyone to Edea.

"What brings you to my tent, Senior Hunter? This doesn't look like a social call."

Symania smiles. "I'm afraid it's not. Would it be all right if we talked to Merlara? It's important to Ser Elwin's investigation."

The woman frowns but finally says, "For a few minutes. She needs her rest okay? She hasn't got her strength back yet."

The Senior Hunter nods. "I promise we won't talk her ear off."

The woman relents and secures the tent flap open. Inside you guys find a woman resting on her stomach, half dozing. Nearby is a mash of medicinal smelling herbs. The woman looks a lot like her cousin, except her copper hair is darker and a little greasy from only being half washed. Her heavily tanned skin is pale and she looks really tired. "Hello, who's there?"

After introducing you all and telling her why you guys are there, Symania says, "Ser Elwin and her friends have a few questions for you about the attack."

"I don't know how much I can help, I spent most of it propped up against a tree hoping they wouldn't see me."

Symania looks at you guys.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 11:33 pm

"Right. You were on patrol with Aymar's group that night. Do you own a charm necklace, Merlara?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 11:39 pm

Merlara almost moves in surprise. "Um, what? What does that have to do with anything? I thought this was about the attack?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 11:46 pm

"Please, calm down, Merlara. It doesn't mean you're in trouble. This could be related if you got one recently."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019, 11:57 pm

Merlara carefully breathes, forcing herself to calm down. "I unexpectedly received one from Aymar that night. Right before...well you know." Her tone is sad.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:02 am

"You wouldn't happen to have it lying around, would you? It'd be a big help."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:03 am

Meaning that she accepted it, lucky for Aymar. Hunter smiles to himself, secretly smug about his brilliant intuition...or having seen something he thought was there and it being actually there this time.

"Y-yes, may we see it?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:12 am

"I expect it's somewhere around here. Do you see a small pile of clothes on top of my armor?" You guys do, it's sitting against the west wall. On top of Merlara's folded leather pants and leather armor top, you guys see a clean shirt and a linen sack likely full of her personal belongings. On the floor next to this is Merlara's short bow, quiver of arrows, a hatchet, and a shortsword in a black leather sheath.

Looking inside, you guys find a necklace matching the description. After Symania looks at it through the Gem of Seeing she nods at you guys, confirming that it is the same as the one found on Reptar.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:19 am

Kathryn scowls when she sees the true nature of the necklace. She takes the fake charm with Symania's permission and calmly tells her, "We need to find every enchanted items the Drow have smuggled in. Could you please handle that?"

Symania nods in agreement. "I'll get on that immediately."

Once the green-haired elf has answered, Kat turns to Merlara and explains the situation to her. "The Drow probably tricked your people into picking up objects like these. Don't worry; this isn't your fault. Someone, somewhere, has carefully planned this so you wouldn't know."
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:29 am

"Aye, all real sneaky-like."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:33 am

Before Symania goes, Hunter adds, "Make sure you tell Aymar and Terron, they'll want to know about this."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:51 am

"Why would they do this? What did they want? What did we ever do to them?" Despair has overtaken Merlara.

"We didn't do anything. That's just the way they are. They work to twist and undermine everything that makes us who we are. Family, love, living in peace; the good things in life. But don't despair. That's exactly how they win but we beat them by living well. By making good choices. By taking care of each other. I promise you, nothing they do to us will ever be worse than the lives they choose to lead. It will all catch up with them in the end. It always does. Betrayal and murder are all they know and that is how they will die: forgotten, despised, and, above all else, alone. But I have work to do. I'll come visit you again Merlara.

And don't worry Hunter, I'll see to that. You guys finish your investigation. I, for one, would love to know what they were hoping to accomplish with all this. Take care.
" She leaves with her guards, heading east toward where Aymar is staying.

Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2019, 12:56 am

Hunter visibly cringes when his grandmother prophesies the way life will end for every dark elf.

"Well, it seems like you're living well already. Aymar's a lucky man..." He offers her a small smile.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr 2019, 10:38 pm

Merlara manages a smile back, but she looks half asleep. You guys take that as your cue to leave and excuse yourselves. After taking stock of where you guys are in the investigation, you all decide to head towards the Ranger Cabin to meet Yorenan and his drow prisoner.

After walking back to the clearing (you guys could probably do this in your sleep now) you begin the approach to the cabin. This gets everyone's attention and the crowd starts gathering once more. Folan and his men hang back to keep everyone away as you guys continue on towards the cabin. As you get closer, you guys can pick out the arrow slits in the window barricades, the fortified door, and various parts of the wall. You also notice the five arrow tips poking out and aimed at each of you. Someone within the cabin shouts in a man's voice, "Stop! Keep your hands where we can see them and make no sudden movements!"

After you guys comply the voice shouts once more, "Good, now state your business!"

The voice is very familiar to Hunter...
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr 2019, 10:43 pm

Hunter keeps his mouth shut for now, and nudges Kathryn with his elbow. "All yours, 'Ser Elwin'," he whispers.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr 2019, 10:54 pm

Kathryn is a little surprised when Hunter discreetly elbows her, but she responds with an understanding nod and turns to face the cabin. "My name is Ser Kathryn Elwin Amblecrown, and I have been sent by Lord Stockmer and Lady Emily of Harken to mediate between you and the Moondancer clan. May we enter?"

She sounds a lot more confident than before, but there's a tinge of nervousness to her voice.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr 2019, 11:45 pm

"Then approach in peace, Mediator!" The arrows withdraw from the arrow slits and you guys approach the door. The sounds of the door being unsecured are unusually loud in the silent clearing. Finally the door opens, but there's no one in the door frame on the other side. Instead, a tall blond man, easily 6'3" and well over two hundred pounds, in a green cloak and leather armor peaks around the corner and says in accented Nerathi, "Hurry, before anyone gets any bright ideas about picking us off!" He sounds like he's from one of the sea raiding clans to the east beyond the Midnight Sea (think nordic).

After you guys quickly enter, another man in a green cloak whom was standing behind the door slams it shut behind you and quickly begins bolting and latching it back up. As he works, you guys look around the room.

It's a crowded one-story cabin, what with you guys now inside, and the air is a little musty. Three chairs have been pushed up against the wall opposite, to try to make more room for quickly moving around. Two more men are in the kitchen area, silently looking at you. They are twins, both with nondescript and forgettable faces: brown hair, brown eyes, average height and build. In fact, other than their weapons and armor identifying them as Rangers, that's probably the most memorable thing about them. Finally, a woman is standing near the door on the east side of the cabin leading into the only other room in the cabin, clearly guarding it. Her ritually scarred face, great height, round shield, and blonde hair mark her as the sea raider's kin, though he's clearly her senior by almost ten years.

The man resecuring the door finally finishes, and so he turns around, giving you a full look at his beard and elf ears, marking him as a half-elf. He says, "I was wondering when you lot would come see us. Watched you walk past us twice now." He grins at Hunter and John in recognition.  

Yorenan Oakley, of the Woodsinger Clan:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019, 12:04 am

Hunter smiles back. "Hey, Uncle. I thought that might be you." He glances at the dubious-looking nordic warriors. "I see you've been recruiting since I saw you last."

"Rehabilitating" is more like, he thinks.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019, 12:05 am

While Hunter and John talk with their uncle, Kathryn studies the layout of the cabin and checks what weapons the rangers brought with them. She raises her eyebrows in surprise when she realizes the drow isn't in this room, but shrugs it off and shifts her attention to the discussion at hand.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 am

"Place looks like could hold off a wee siege." - Carlos remarks - "Carlos Jalapeño de Muerta, by the way. I'm with them."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019, 12:53 am

"Well you know me, always keeping an eye out for talent." The blonde man frowns and Yorenan laughs. "Suffice it to say it's a long story and Bjark and Eira saved my life when I was in a bad spot. They are good people and better Rangers. Of that you can be sure." This placates Bjark.

After Carlos introduces himself, Yorenan says, "A pleasure to meet you, Carlos. I'm Yorenan Oakley, of the Woodsinger Clan, and commander of this unfortunate patrol. Always good to see a professional. But who are your other friends?"

John says, "Oh, this is Zoe, a priestess of Avandra. She's super nice. And this is Jojo, a merchant from the south. He's really smart. And this is Ser Kathryn Amblecrown, a Fey Knight. "

"It's good to put faces to your names. These are my men, Bjark and Eira you now know and the twins are Eric and Elric. Say hi gents."

Eric and Elric say in unison, "Nice to meet you."

"Okay, now stop talking. Gods that's creepy every time you do it."

Eric and Elric smile in unison, taking no offense at Yorenan's words but not answering either. It must be a long running joke between them, which Yorenan's returned smile confirms.

"But enough of the pleasantries, how can we help you with your mission? After all, your success is our success."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019, 1:33 am

"Right. Senior Druid Ara wants your stray alive for her purposes. What happens to her after she gets her way is none of her concern, but suffice to say it's on the interrogation side of things. We're better off with her holding a trial than Neremyn or Zoras, but of course she won't shed a tear if the trial concludes with a death sentence, with or without any pomp, and we all know what side her bread is buttered on." That is to say the Harken's Heart circle, of course.

"Kat's status has unlocked a few doors for us," he says, grateful for opportunity to speak less formally. (or not at all, as the case appears to be) "One of which is permission to tromp through the Glade of the Moon Maiden, if we really need to drag the elder out of his hidey-hole to participate. We're investigating to see if we can build up a strong defense, and we'll try communicating with the drow, after we ask you a few questions. We need to get your side of this on the record - well, my record, at least."

What Hunter doesn't say is that he isn't planning on going easy on the drow, but perhaps Yorenan is already familiar with Hunter's technique. The horny lad retrieves his notes and licks the tip of his pen.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019, 1:41 am

Kathryn furrows her brows when Hunter shares his impression of Ara. She waits for him to finish speaking, and then says, "Just so you know, I disagree with Hunter's opinion about Ara. But we don't really have time to talk about it for now, so yeah, let's move on."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next