A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kolson

Kolson

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Empty
PostSubject: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm

12 April 423 AFN; 12:43 pm

It's been three and half days since the party left Eyton's Grove traveling along the King's Road. The enchantment of the road itself is still good, speeding your progress on your way to the Barony of Harkenwold. On the second day, Zoe broached the subject of a nearby shrine to Avandra that she'd like to visit and, since it is right along the road and it gave Kat and Hunter an excuse to show off a local natural wonder to their friends, you guys readily agreed.

The shrine itself is the largest tree any of you have ever seen, possibly the largest tree in the mortal world. It is 58 feet in diameter and of an unknown height, it's top shooting up past the clouds in the sky. It's visible from throughout the Vale and many legends exist attributing its existence to one deity or another. But one thing all the legends agree on is that the tree was made as a gift to Avandra for some great service rendered in the distant past. Since that time, it has stood, outliving 5 different Empires, welcoming all who travel the King's Road to the Vale.

Jojo and Zoe, who are both walking beside the wagon, both gasp when the party leaves the tree line and the tree becomes visible for the first time. It's a good thing Kat is the one driving the wagon because they are both thoroughly fixated on the tree.

"I can't believe it's so big!" exclaims Zoe.

"The stories really don't do it justice," adds Jojo.

Ludimilla, who is sitting in the back of the wagon resting, smiles to herself at their reaction.

(Hunter, Noble, and Carlos are all walking near the wagon as well.)
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 8:40 pm

Unfortunately for everyone else, Kathryn is so enthralled by the sight of the gigantic tree, she absentmindedly continues to lead Hot Lips down the path without even looking at it. Avandra be with her.

"Do you think the squirrels living in it are also bigger?" she asks.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

Hunter breathes a contented sigh as his eyes follow the massive landmark's trunk up toward where it disappears above the clouds.

He nods at the mention of giant squirrels. "I did tell you about the dire turkeys I ran into before. There's a 'dire' everything, it seems. Uncle may know a lot about animals, but he's not a living bestiary. Bahamut save us if we ever run into a dire owlbear, oof. Anyway, pretty neat, huh?"

History 6 (Int)
Has anyone tried to climb the giant tree?
Nature 16
Just how difficult would it be to climb it?
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 10:22 pm

Carlos looks way up "I, uh... i suddenly want a tree house."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm

Kat:

"Oh, I'd love a treehouse! Imagine all the things you could throw at people down below like eggs or bladders full of paint."

"I'd rather not have to climb up to my house everyday. That sounds exhausting." says Jojo.

Ludmilla says, "There be a cabin of sorts carved into the tree. Tis good luck to stay there overnight under Ava's (Avandra's) protection before heading yon into the wold."

Hunter:
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 10:44 pm

Eni:

Kathryn is about to say something, but suddenly realizes the wagon is slightly going left. She squeezes the reins in her hands again and corrects her course.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm

"Or jump down on them when you run out of projectiles, just need something to break the fall. Jojo's right though, need some way to climb up quicker."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm

"Sounds like a good place to stop, then."

He continues to ramble on about the tree as they approach the shrine. "I wonder what's up there... My mother told me that some heroes have tried. I don't remember how or why, but a few managed it. The ones that didn't, well..." He lets that sentence hang. "It's doable, though. It's hard, but with the will, and enough time, you can get up there. You need to be prepared for a hell of a climb, though. See those branches, way up there? Those are the lowest. First stop to rest, is my guess, without pitons."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:06 pm

Carlos strokes his beard thoughtfully as he continues looking up - "Would need some counterweights and a really long rope..."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:14 pm

Kat:

"I heard it takes you to Arvandor, so that Avandra could visit the Seldarine whenever she wants." [GM Note: The Seldarine is the name for the elven gods as a whole, including Corellon and Sehanine. Arvandor is their home in the Astral Sea.]

Ludmilla adds, "It leads to a kingdom in the sky. One of the Vistani climbed it to see what was up there and he found a land full of small animal people, mostly friendly. Though I suspect it leads many places. One of Ava's pranks most likely."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:19 pm

Eni:

"It'd be funny if one of them climbed down the tree to see what's on the ground."

With a smile on her face, the silver-haired knight sets her eyes on the road to make sure it's safe.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:21 pm

Hunter looks up at the clouds again. "I hope we find another way to break Eni's curse."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:35 pm

"Ay... what's with Elves and always going up?" - he thinks for a second - "And Dwarves, and always going down? One of us must rub Gravity the wrong way."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:38 pm

Hunter sniggers at certain turn-of-phrase hidden in Carlos' words.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:39 pm

Kathryn laughs out loud at Carlos' observation.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm

Kat:

Jojo smiles at Carlos' observation but Ludmilla and Zoe laugh out loud with Kat. "Maybe we like shooting ourselves up into the air like arrows? I don't know. I'll have to remember that one."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jan 2019, 11:45 pm

Carlos' eyes widen - "Ah yeah, i could maybe strap myself to a ballista. Nah, that would kill me. A Catapult wouldn't have the range... a Trebuchet? They're not normally made to launch you upwards, though. Would need some adjusting..."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:12 am

Jojo says, "Maybe we could cheat by using a griffin to get some extra height before we do any launching? You know, swing it around like a pendulum."

The party spends the next forty minutes chatting and walking along the road until you reach the shrine. When you guys arrive, you see a door set into the tree and two square windows divided into 4 panes to either side of it. Around the entire tree are piles of stones and smaller trees at set intervals, probably placed there on purpose. Above the door, carved into the tree itself is the symbol of Avandra. Surprisingly the tree itself doesn't affect the amount of light around it, you might as well be standing in a clear meadow for all the sunlight you are getting.

Symbol of Avandra:

OOC:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:20 am

"If we got ourselves a griffin, we wouldn't have to launch at all, Jo. That sounds way better, actually."

Later, at the tree...

Hunter marvels at how much light is coming through. This place is blessed, alright. He looks around a the stone piles and smaller trees obviously placed/grown where they are for a reason.

Perception 20 (modified)
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:20 am

Carlos looks around the unusually well-lit tree - "Y aquí esperaba una sombra...."

INT 14
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:23 am

Kathryn studies the tree, wondering just how many squirrels could live in the alcove alone. She then remembers she needs to park the wagon somewhere, which she does. She then goes to the back to help Ludmilla stand up.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:35 am

Carlos and Hunter:

Kat:

"Wow, you said it Carlos. I can't believe how much light there is!" Zoe runs forward to look a nearby pile of stones and then says, "I wonder if it goes all the way around?"

Ludmilla takes Kat's hand and they work together to get the old woman on her feet once more. "Thank ye kindly, young lady. I be looking forward to the day I have me strength back." She needs Kat's help to jump down too.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:40 am

Eni:

"No worries," Kathryn replies. "Do you want to head inside now? I can go look if they have a chair in there if you want to stay outside a little bit though."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:40 am

Hunter follows the wards around the tree to make sure that their protection is complete, and swiftly strides back toward the others to help Ludmilla.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jan 2019, 12:41 am

"It should." - Carlos walks up next to her - "Keeps the nasties away."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 1 of 40Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next