A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 11:44 pm

"Hmm. This is going to be difficult...  Tell me, are there any, um, ‘crimes’ the Woodsingers have committed against Harken or the Vale? Anything negative at all?"
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 12:07 am

Steward Lonetree says, "The Moondancers and the Iron Arrows sometimes harass our woodcutters but we have a longstanding treaty for access to specific parts of the wood in exchange for clearing detritus and helping with fires. The Elders of both tribes have always reaffirmed the treaty after every incident. No one has been seriously hurt or killed in years.

The worst we get is young braves from the Moondancers tipping over a cow or stealing a sheep for food. So far we've been able to work within their legal system to see compensation for farmers but this is a point of contention that's steadily been souring relations between us. No ones been hurt so far, but I've been steadily getting more and more complaints from Darden. If Neremyn doesn't get his house in order I'm worried we might find ourselves in a border skirmish and then who knows what might happen? This Drow raid is the last thing we need right now.
"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 12:13 am

The knight considers the new information Steward Lonetree has provided and nods to him when he has finished talking. "We'll have to be really careful with what we say then... But I think we're up for it." She turns towards her friends. "Anyone else wanted to ask something?"
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 12:17 am

"I'll think of something once we're on the way, i'm sure."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 12:31 am

Hunter shakes his head.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 12:56 am

Jo, who was content to listen up to this point, says, "I have one. It seems to me this Neremyn is the cause of a lot of problems. Is there a way to remove him from power?"

Ludmilla thinks about that and says, "You would have to have grounds to challenge his authority, an impossibility for an outsider. However, that's a good question for Yorenan. He might be able to do it or know someone who might feasibly could."

"And what would that involve?"

Ludmilla says, "That depends on the grounds. It might be by simple vote or it might be through a trial of some kind, maybe even by combat."

Jojo thinks about that for a sec and then says, "That's it for me then."

Zoe waves off the idea of asking a question causing Stockmer to bring the meeting to a close. "Very good, we have a plan then. Bill, please let Master Bluemane know that our guests will need their horses again. Now let's get to it and may the gods smile on our endeavors." He looks to the party and says, "Please, stay behind for a moment. I would have words with you in private."

Steward Lonetree, Lady Emily, Leo, Ludmilla, and Bill all clear out to do their parts in the bigger plan but once they are out the door Lord Stockmer says, "I know we are asking a lot of you all here. It's not fair to ask you to do this but I need a neutral party and as you can see, my own counselors don't agree in the least on what the best outcome is."

After a moment, Zoe asks, "What do you think is the best outcome my lord?"

The Old Man's eyes twinkle at the question. "That depends. Are you asking the Lord or the man?"

Zoe falls silent, lost in thought at the answer and its implications.

"I'll have a page bring you the letter identifying all of you as my representatives in this matter. Avandra's Luck to you friends. Oh, and Ser Kathryn? Keep those artifacts safe. I'm counting on you until we can find a more permanent solution. I promise, we'll figure it out after this goblin business is sorted."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 1:05 am

"We already have a few ideas how to deal with them, Lord Stockmer, but I don't think we have time to get into it. I'll keep them safe until we can though. And be certain that we'll do our very best to save Yorenan without any causing any bloodshed."

She bows to the noble and takes her leave from the room.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 1:09 am

"That's okay. It's not too much, my lord. I want to help." The young devil spawn has a serious look on his face. He turns to leave...
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Mar 2019, 7:36 pm

Carlos looks like he has something to say, but holds it back and sticks with - "Well, best we go an' solve that problem before them singers an' dancers grow restless. Ain't much we can do from here."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 10:16 pm

When you guys finally leave the office you find Holly and John speaking quietly at the end of the hallway near the stairs. When John spots you he waves and walks forward to meet you guys, saying, "Hi. I finally made it!" He looks bathed and fresh, clearly ready for the day. He claps Hunter on the back in greeting.

Holly walks up and joins the group, quietly watching John reacquaint himself with you lot. She stands patiently enough, but looks like she wants to say something.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 10:19 pm

"Oi Holly, you've the look of a pretty lady wantin' to say sumthin'."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 10:21 pm

Kat nods at John and then approaches Griffin's wife to speak with her. "You do seem like you wanna say something, Holly. Oh, we never introduced ourselves before; I'm Ser Kathryn, but since you're family, you can just call me Kathryn. Or even Kat!"

She smiles at the young woman.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 10:22 pm

Hunter claps his own hand on John's shoulder and smiles. "Finally. What took you so long?"

Insight 10
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 10:59 pm

Holly smiles at Kat. "It's nice to meet you Kathryn, you can call me Holly. I'd love to talk more but I have a gift from Lady Emily." She pulls a scroll case from the pouch at her belt and presents it to the party. "It's a map to the Ranger cabin in the East Wood and a trail marked out for you. Lady Emily only asks that you return it after the mission."

John scratches the back of his head and laughs. "That's kind of a long story. We ended up in a fistfight at the Belligerent Bulette, the bar back in Tor's Hold, when some haulers Bill found refused the job. Sarah tried to defuse the situation but once one of them insulted her she laid him out in one punch, quick as you like, when he wouldn't take it back. Things escalated quickly from there. The town elder had to break it up. But we gave better than we got. I'd have a shiner if it weren't for Ilyana. It was pretty late by the time I got her back home, so she insisted I stay the night while she treated me. Honestly, I was beat anyway, it saved me the trouble of asking her to stay in the first place.

Anyway, the halflings are fine. They are staying with Elder Bran and his family. Bill and Sarah said they'd join us by this evening after they make amends to Tor's Hold.
"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:07 pm

Kathryn takes the map, unroll it and briefly examines the indications Lady Emily has marked for the party. "I think Hunter will have to be the one to hold onto that..." she says. "I never learned how to read a map. Say thank you to Lady Emily for us, okay? Oh, and please tell Griffin there's a chance I might not make it to lunch. I'll do my best though."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:09 pm

Hunter raises an eyebrow in the middle of John's story.

"They're coming? Good, they can back us up if things go south with the Moondancers. It's too bad Ilyanna couldn't come. Awfully nice of her to look after you, though."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:52 pm

Holly laughs. It's a dainty thing, musical even. "I was heading to see him next. He'll be disappointed if you miss it but better a little late than a war. Stay safe and good luck." She puts her hand up in a goodbye gesture and makes her way down the stairs.

John shrugs. "I asked her to come but she said she had some orders to fill and wanted to start working on Solution 18. She said to come visit her again in a couple of days. Holly filled me in on what's going on. When do we leave?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:54 pm

Kat says goodbye at Holly and then turns to face John. "Really soon, I think," she says. "Here Hunter, Lady Emily gave us this map. I think you'll read it better than anyone else here."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:57 pm

Hunter takes the map. "Yeah, probably. If not, I should know my way around... Was that Holly just now?"
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:58 pm

"Uh right, might wanna swing by later in case Illyana cooks up a blob of hot pepper that sets things on fire this time."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Mar 2019, 11:59 pm

"Yup!" Kat says to Hunter.

She then laughs at Carlos' joke because, well, there's an element of truth to it.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2019, 12:10 am

"Oh... I didn't get to say hi... Okay, we're heading out as soon as we're ready. We don't know how much time my uncle has. And don't trust Neremyn or anyone he sends to speak with us."

He turns to John. "Bring a crossbow." He thinks... "And swap out that mace for a proper warhammer."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2019, 1:43 am

"All right, all right. I'll swing by the armory and do so. I'll meet you guys at the stables. Say in a half hour?"

"That works for me," says Jojo.

"Don't get into any fights on the way, we aren't waiting for you again," teases Zoe with a grin as the party follows John down the stairs.

He laughs and says, "I'll try. Just watch out if you go drinking with Bill or Sarah is all I'll say."

In the Great Hall you guys split from John and head to your rooms to get ready, putting on armor and rearming as necessary. In about half an hour everyone is at the stables and ready to leave.

Sophia is playing in the stable while her mom and dad get the horses ready. She's talking to a rag doll of a little girl, saying, "What should we do next Abby?"

She goes silent as she listens to the doll Abby "talk" to her. "I guess so. Let me ask her." The little girl skips over to Zoe and shyly tugs on her hand to get her attention.

For her part when she sees who it is, Zoe breaks out into a grin and kneels down onto one knee to talk to the little girl on her level. "Oh, hello Sophia. How are you today?"

"Gooooood," says Sophia shyly.

"Is there something I can do for you?"

"Not for me. Abby says you should stay and play with me."

"And who's Abby? Is this her right here?"

Sophia nods and holds up the little doll. The pigtails are made out of orange yarn and the doll itself and her dress are made from old bits of cloth.

"I'm sorry you two, but my friends need me to help them with an important thing. I promise to come back and play with you after."

Sophia holds the doll up to her ear while she listens to Abby and then says, "Abby says that if you won't stay, she wants to go too so she can protect you."

Zoe smiles. "If Abby goes with me then who will protect you?"

"Dragons don't need protecting!" The little girl raises her little fist in the air and roars.

Zoe raises her hands in faux terror. "Far be it for me to argue with a dragon. All right Abby, looks like you are coming with me then." The cleric takes the rag doll and places her inside her belt pouch so that the doll's head is poking out.

"Goodbye lady!" Sophia "flies" away, whooshing as she goes.

Zoe watches her go, wishing she could "fly" after her.

----------------------------------------------

You guys are soon riding your way down the hill and out of the village, this time heading southeast along the King's Road. It's a quiet enough ride this morning, with birds happily chirping away, before turning off at the indicated marker, a maple tree with an oak leaf carved into a knot in the wood, and making your way single file east down a game trail.

Please make a Perception check and an Int check.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2019, 1:50 am

Perception 20 (modified)
Intelligence 14
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2019, 1:59 am

Kathryn watches the short interaction between Zoe and Sophia, which quickly reaches an abnormal of cuteness. It's almost too much to handle for the knight! Alas, they must go on and leave for the East Wood.

Kathryn keeps a hand on Durandal's handle, just in case some monsters or bandits attempt to ambush them.

Rolls:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next