A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kolson

Kolson

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Mar 2019, 11:09 pm

Hunter:

Eni:

"Well said Ser Kathryn," exclaims Baroness Emily, "If only more people were like you and your friends. But I was surprised to find out you are a local girl, recently knighted. Have you had a chance to tell your parents yet?" Two serving girls come up to the table to take the party's orders for breakfast. The main dishes are beef pottage or pancakes, paired with scrambled eggs, and your choice of fruit. To drink, you have a choice between beer or milk.

"What are you going to have Carlos? I was thinking maybe the pancakes," says Zoe.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 12:08 am

Eni:

Kathryn asks for a large portion of pancakes and eggs, a glass of milk and one juicy peach.

"Not yet. It has been less than a week since Lady Eninahes knighted me," Kat reveals with a shy smile. "I'll be visiting them soon enough though. But don't hesitate to ask for our help before we leave if you have any dangerous mission that needs doing."
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 7:09 pm

"Hmm, pancakes are good but i'm not skimping out on the scrambled eggs. Top that out with an apple and..." - he pauses for a second - "Dwarves normally drink 80 Proof for breakfast but i'll go with the milk since it's a work day. Just don't tell anyone."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 10:18 pm

Emily is about to answer Kat when Stockmer deadpans, "Careful Ser Kathryn, or she'll take you up on that offer."

Emily is brought up short and then smirks. "You know me too well husband. But this isn't for me. In fact, it's nothing too serious, but a friend of mine could use help with her job. Come see me within the next few days when you have time and I'll introduce you to her. I think trustworthy warriors are just what she needs."

The wheels are turning in Jojo's head when she says that but he decides to order breakfast instead of pressing the Baroness about it. He takes the beef pottage and a bowl of fruit paired with the milk.

Zoe laughs at Carlos' joke. "I'll have the same thing he's having please."

The servants leave to fetch your food.

Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 10:30 pm

"We'd be happy to help!" Kathryn says without hesitation. "I'll make sure to visit you in the next few days Lady Emily."

She nods with determination and starts eating her breakfast.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 10:46 pm

The servants arrive with the food and the rest of the meal passes in pleasant small talk. The food is delicious, somewhere between a home-cooked meal and something you'd get from a high end professional chef. As the meal comes to a close, Stockmer and Emily both stand up and he says to the group, "You've all proven yourselves reliable friends of the Wold. Please, join me in my study in an hour as my guests. I have another meeting with Sergeant Leo and Steward Lonetree about this business we've been dealing with and I think you'll want to be there."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 10:48 pm

The young knight stands up, bows to the old man and says, "Thank you for your kind words, Lord Stockmer. We'll be there."

Once the couple movs to leave, she will sit back in her chair and finish her breakfast.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 10:49 pm

Carlos does likewise, but only nods, seeing as bowing in his case would make his head hit the pancakes.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 11:18 pm

And so the Lord and Lady exit the Hall. Holly stands up, kisses Griff on the cheek, and then follows after. For his part Griffon says goodbye before heading off to work and that he looks forward to lunch with his sister. He reminds her that its important to him before rushing off with his coworkers.

As you guys finish up your food Hunter rejoins the group. It is now 6:15 am and you guys have 45 minutes to kill before the meeting in Stockmer's Study. What, if anything, do you guys wish to do?
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 11:27 pm

"I just spoke with the gate guards. John hasn't returned." He frowns. "While we wait for him, you guys want to go talk to the rangers? They might have something else for us to do, and we still need to claim some spoils from the mission at Toadwallow Cave."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 11:30 pm

Carlos merrily eats the rest of the pancakes, proceeds to the eggs scrambled, then eats the apple in a few bites. Then the milk. Judging by how he drank it, it was some badass milk.

Then Hunter speaks up - "Oh, we're gonna go see them. Already crammed in our busy schedule."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 11:35 pm

"Oh, cool. Wait, what do you mean?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 11:38 pm

"Lord Stockmer wants to see us in less than a hour in his office," Kat says. "Sergeant Howard and Mr. Lonetree will also be there to talk about what's happening in the Vale. Oh, and one of Lady Emily's friends might have a job for us too, but that's not urgent."

The young woman happily bites into her peach.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Mar 2019, 11:42 pm

Hunter chews the inside of his cheek. "This and that, on top of the other things. I hope we aren't spreading ourselves thin. So, to the baron's office in under an hour, got it."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 1:41 am

Zoe says, "I'm sure John's okay Hunter. He probably stayed with Ilyana because it was so late. I bet he'll ride in any moment now."

In the meantime, Kat takes everyone back to her room and explains the options that Eni gave her about what they might do with the Eye. I'm reposting them here for reference purposes.

Eni's Suggestions:

Zoe also suggests giving it to Avandra. They wouldn't see any rewards beyond the goddess' favor but she's the goddess of luck, that could be pretty sweet.

After the meeting, Hunter leaves to talk to Ludmilla and Kat goes back to the Hall to have tea. Carlos, Jojo, and Zoe decide to join her. That takes care of the last 20 or 25 minutes.

Ludmilla and Hunter:

The first to arrive are Kat, Carlos, Jo, and Zoe. When they enter they find Stockmer and Lonetree already there. Once they are seated where the Old Man indicates, a minute later Lady Emily and Holly both arrive. Holly smiles at Kathryn but goes to stand behind her mistress. After that Hunter, Leo, and Ludmilla arrive. Ludmilla is now walking with a cane, and she eases herself onto the couch next to Leo. The last to arrive is Bill Cooperson, the Master-at-Arms.

From his chair Lord Stockmer begins. "Welcome everyone. Thank you for joining me here. Harkenwold is in grave danger and if we don't act, and quickly, our people face death and destruction at the hands of monsters and worse. To that end, I turn this meeting over to Ranger Howard."

Leo leans forward with his hands on his knees. "Right. Day before last, one of my Ranger patrols came across a goblin scouting party from Daggerburg. They killed off most, drove away the rest. But where there's one goblin, there's always four more you don't see. Last night, to the west of Marl, the Flatcreak Steading was attacked. Three halflings were killed out in their fields, but the rest managed to get inside and return fire with their bows. They brought down five of their attackers, even managed a warg before the raiders retreated. The messenger they sent didn't manage to make it here until a few hours back.

Thanks to these fine folks right here, I've managed to move up my timetable some for that patrol to see if we can find their camp but I think it's time to let folks know about the danger so they'll be ready.
"

Kat:

Bill speaks, "I concur Lord Stockmer. Let me put together a small contingent of guards and militia and we'll station them at Marl. That will give us plenty of time to respond in case any more steadings are attacked."

Lord Stockmer says, "How many will you need?"

"Myself and four other guards should do it. I'll grab ten lads from Harken and Marl for the Militia and enough horses for everyone."

Stockmer nods. "Very well, get it done. What's the timeline on that patrol Leo?"

"Another day if I can free up more Rangers. We have a fire that needs putting out in the East Wood that I'm hoping Hunter and his friends can deal with. Lady Emily can go into that more."

"Yes. I got a Sending from Yorenan a half hour ago requesting assistance with his Drow prisoner. The Woodsingers there are demanding that he turn her over to them for punishment and so far he is refusing saying that would be tantamount to murder. The elves have the cabin the Rangers are staying in surrounded but so far they have been unwilling to attack. But this situation is quickly escalating. I fear for Yorenan and his patrol."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 2:02 am

"I'll do it," Hunter responds immediately. "Er, we'll go to the East Wood and keep the peace. Is there a way to reply back? If he hears that the rangers are sending help, that could help him buy more time."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

"Aye, that seems the one'll boil over quickest if we leave it untended. I'm used to sorting out disputes with my hammer, but even i get the politics of a blood grievance. Maybe we can help."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 7:51 pm

Realizing that she's standing in the presence of the most distinguished individuals of Harkenwold, Kathryn tries to hide her awkwardness by talking only when she's asked a question. When the meeting begins however and Leonard reveals the recent attack on Flatcreak Steading, her whole demeanor changes.

With furrowed brows, she tightens her grip on the handle of her sword and listens attentively to the mission Lady Emily is submitting to the party members. One look at the knight's eyes is enough to tell that she will accept it.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 9:43 pm

"I'll let him know you're on your way," says Lady Emily.

Zoe asks, "What do we know about the tribe there?"

Steward Lonetree says, "They call themselves the Moondancers. They've made their homes in the East Wood since before Harkenwold existed. We mostly stay out of each others way, but we act as middlemen for them and the Hammerfast dwarves in trade. They trust us more than other outsiders, or so they say."

Ludmilla scoffs at that. "Their Elder, Neremyn, is afraid that if his people learn the ways of the dwarves that they will abandon their nomadic lifestyle in favor of integration with Harkenwold. Someone devoted to the old ways like him wouldn't keep his job if that happened."

Steward Lonetree coughs, "That's neither here nor there in the current matter. It does however limit the amount of help we can give the Rangers directly. But if you show up as a neutral party in this matter with the Baron's blessing, it might make it possible for this to end peacefully."

Stockmer nods. "I'm willing to do this, but do you all have questions? Ludmilla here has more experience than the rest of us with dealing with the Moondancers directly."

Ludmilla smirks, pleased at the attention. "Aye, be asking your questions then."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 9:58 pm

"I heard about what happened with the prisoner. It's pretty impressive what she did. Her loyalty is suspect, but concessions have been made for people of other races in her position in times of war, surely. Are there any laws, rites or customs that the Moondancers would abide by to let her and Yorenan go, if we convinced them to give her a chance?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 10:00 pm

Kathryn rubs her chin, deep in thought. While Yorenan's situation is still precarious, there's still a chance to save both him and the drow woman. Once Hunter has had his question answered, she turns to Ludmilla and asks the old woman, "What do the Moondancers think about Fey Knights? And does Neremyn have a different opinion?"
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 10:18 pm

"Just so i got this straight: It was their people the Drow attacked, right? I'd normally assume so, you wouldn't care to punish someone just for being a Drow, but..." - strokes beard thoughtfully.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 11:23 pm

I'm going to reorder things a little bit so they flow into each other a little better.

Carlos and Hunter

Leo fields this question from Carlos. "That's right yes. A group of their people were camped in the northern part of their territory. A drow raiding party attacked them while most of the tribe was asleep. If they followed their standard operating procedure, they ambushed and murdered the guards and then silently crept into the camp. They'd finish off as many of the warriors as they could, try to capture those young and strong for slaves. They'd also try to take any women of great power, such as a druid or priestess. Lolth favors their sacrifice above all others you see."

Ludmilla sighs, "Make no mistake, they'd do the same to us too and have. But the elves are a special target, held above all others. The scars of the Kinslayer Wars run deep, for all three of the elven peoples. I'm afraid their anger be clouding the need for justice. They not in a mood to see what the prisoner did, only what she represents."

Steward Lonetree scoffs, "What she represents is a group of murderous raiders determined to make life as miserable as possible for all of us over grievances none of us were alive to take part in or do anything about in the first place! This would have been much easier if Yorenan had just let her die."

"Even though she saved a child?" asks Lady Emily.

"Yes!"

Emily is about to retort when Stockmer interjects. "Enough! We don't have time for arguments! Focus on the solution, not the problem. Please Ludmilla, continue."

After a moment of awkward silence, Ludmilla says to Hunter, "In matters of justice, the Elder calls together the leaders of the Moondancers to hold a trial. That would be the various hunting leaders and other senior members of the tribe. The trial would be conducted by their druid, Ara. She is a member of the Harken's Heart, but I've known her for years. She can be stubborn but she takes her role as arbiter very seriously. If you can get her to weigh in for a trial, I think you'd succeed. The real trick would be getting the senior members to listen. Yorenan would probably have a better idea than me who the sympathetic ones might be, as it's his tribe."

Kat

To Kat, Ludmilla says, "From what I know about your Order, they should respect your authority in the matter. But I warn you to be cautious Kathryn because your lack of experience at the job will be used against you. They tend to be a long lived bunch, they can't help it, it clouds their point of view."

Zoe laughs. "That's so true!"

Ludmilla grins and continues, "As for Neremyn, he'll do everything he can to foil or obstruct your efforts. Yorenan and him are old enemies, he'll take this opportunity to get rid of a rival. One way or another."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 11:33 pm

Carlos strokes his beard thoughtfully as he listens - "Hmm... matter's charged all the way out here. We'll have our work cut out for us, alright."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Mar 2019, 11:33 pm

Hunter rolls his eyes. "Wonderful, so we can't take them at their word, (of course) and we'll have to go behind Neremyn's back at every turn."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 30 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next