A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4th Interlude: The Shield

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

4th Interlude: The Shield Empty
PostSubject: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2021, 11:43 pm

8:03 AM, 1st of August, 203 A.F.

"How long before the Shield is ready?" the Emperor asks from atop his throne.

"At least two years, Your Majesty," Finlay Howe answers. "And there are still two major obstacles we first need to resolve if we are ever to complete this project."

The members of the 17th Squad are all standing in a line behind Finlay Howe, Chief Officer of the Research Institute, in what must be the biggest room in the Imperial Palace: the Throne Room. With a ceiling that is fifty meters high and a dome that is twenty-five meters wide, this chamber has undoubtedly amazed countless visitors over the years with its immaculate marble titles, towering columns and high windows. Usually, dozens of members of the imperial court would be standing here, but the only ones here right now are the members of the 17th Squad, Jacob, Chief Officer Finlay Howe, Captain of the Imperial Guard Edward Fox, and the Emperor himself, Kieran Hammerfist.

"Have you made any headway on those?" the emperor asks.

"Unfortunately not, Your Majesty. While I believe the time dilation effect can be rectified with some adjustments, it's the energy source that presents the greatest hurdle. Without it, it will be impossible to power even a smaller version of the Shield."

"Can you find one?"

"It is theoretically possible. I need to conduct several experiments first, but I can give you a definitive answer in three weeks' time."

"Hmm."

The old ruler ponders the implications of this news while his captain, standing at his side, appears unperturbed by it.

Because of their huge contribution to the protection of the human race, the emperor has already granted the squad members permission to speak in his presence.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2021, 11:54 pm

The Dark Lord raises his hand - "Oh hey. So, first time hearing about dilating Time here. How's that work?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 12:10 am

"Professor Howe?" The Emperor motions for him to answer the question.

"Of course, Your Majesty." Finlay faces the squad members and then launches into a succinct explanation. "When deployed, the magical energies of the Shield will affect the space-time continuum inside of it, causing time to pass at a faster rate than on the outside. The bigger the Shield, the faster it will be."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 12:16 am

"Yeeah... while i'm at it, we're gonna encase ourselves in a big ball of Raw Magic, right? Am i the only one thinking could be bad for our..." - Smirk rolls his eyes for a moment - "...your health?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 12:28 am

"No," Finlay Howe says as he crosses his arms. "I've taken this into consideration while designing the Shield, and raw magic won't be a concern. I've also devised a way to simulate sunlight and how to let air pass through the magical barrier, so humans will be able to live inside the Shield without any problem. We simply won't have any access to magic, not unless we're standing at the Core."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 12:31 am

"Yeah, about that last point. So... a Mage could still do Magic if he's at the Core? And that wouldn't be dangerous or anything?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 12:36 am

Sam, who has been patiently listening at ease, tries to figure out how the area around the Core of the Shield should behave according to theory. Would it have something to do with the source of raw magic?

Knowledge Arcana 30
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 12:59 am

Samantha:

"It would be dangerous only if we failed to contain the magical energies within," Howe explains. "If correctly implemented, my designs will allow us to redirect the raw magic on specific pathways, which will enable people to walk into the Core without any worry."

"Um, what would happen if we failed to contain the magic then?" Jacob asks.

"An unlikely event, but were that to happen, the raw magic would spill out and bathe the entire Core, condemning access to it."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 1:03 am

"So if Mute boy were to go in the Core for a spell, i could show up and do this—" - he flicks Nick in the ear - "—to him?"

Nick looks annoyed at first, but quickly looks at Howe again.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 1:07 am

A bored looking May stifles a laugh behind a too loud cough.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 1:12 am

Surprisingly enough, the Emperor himself smiles at Nick's shenanigans, and so do Jacob and Anne.

Naturally, Finlay frowns at this and says, "Theoretically, yes, you could."

Nick says nothing, but a certain weight seems to lift off his shoulders.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 1:17 am

"Can the ISA do anything to help?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 1:37 am

"You've already done a lot by saving me and my family. All I need now is time to conduct my research."

"Time we might not have," Marcus suddenly chimes in before turning to Edward. "I apologize for the change of subject, but I would like to know about what happened to the people from the Embassy and the agents Smirk helped."

Neither Edward nor the emperor seem to mind, and it's with a nod that the captain says, "They've arrived safely at Sellsword yesterday morning, and will be looked after until we've determined they're ready to return to their duties. As for the ISA agents, they had a message for you..."

Edward pulls out a sheet of paper from his pockets and begins reading from it.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 1:57 am

Evrard wrote:
"Thanks for letting us borrow your friend. Don't be a stranger!"

Here is Evrard again:
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 2:36 am

Edward finds the handwriting of Rémi's letter a bit crude, the work of a fighting man of humble origins not use to writing.

"To Smirk, his summoner, and their friends,

I hope this letter finds you well. I'm not used to putting my thoughts to paper like this but my mama taught me to always thank kindly folk who help you out, and right enough you did, so bear with me a spell and I'll see this done.

Thank you. Much of my memory of the battle is a blur but the after, that I can tell you about. We made our way through the sewers along routes both secret and heinous, through murk and muck and all things foul, until we found ourselves in old smuggling tunnels Springer somehow knew about. When we finally emerged out into the air again, we found ourselves in a rocky field outside of the city. I won't bore you with the details but we walked all together for a spell until we met up with a ship that was waiting for us. Not much of a voyage but nothing to complain about. Food was crap. Drink was acceptable.

Anyway, just thought you'd want to know. If I see you, that offer of a beer still stands.

-Rémi Cormier

P.S.: Also, Springer says she's sorry for dragging you through the sewers. You had very nice boots.
"

Judging by the smile on Jacob and Anne's faces, they're relieved to hear that the other ISA agents and the embassy staff are safe. Marcus simply nods when Edward finishes reading the letters, but it's obvious that he feels the same.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2021, 4:21 pm

"Hah!" - Smirk chuckles - "Eh, that's good to hear."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2021, 1:56 pm

A warmth kindles in Sam's chest while she listens to the Remi's written thank-you.

"I'm glad you were able to get them out okay. Remi has a little talent for prose trying to get out, in spite of what he said at the beginning."

"Yes, he really does," Jacob says.

"It's alvays sveet when someone pushes themselves out of their comfort zone," comments May, "Free beer is even better so long as it is good."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2021, 2:03 pm

Then a shadow comes over Smirk, and he starts mulling something over as Nick looks at him with a concerned frown - "You know, there were three summoners at that Embassy. Just three, and it was a bigger bloodbath than i'd ever seen before, let alone..." - a rare mix of anger, frustration and regret flashes over the Aspect. Nick suddenly looks rather mournful - "...done." - he groans - "And we're gonna have two more years of that? I, uh..." - he looks at Nick, whose face contorts back at him in uncertainty, but finally offers a shrug - "We've thought up an idea of how we might get the Greenies to smoke themselves out, just... i dunno anything about Magic research, logistics, what have you. Don't know how long it'd take to get done, especially what with the Shield needing... well, everything. But hell; if i'm ever gonna talk about it, might as well be here and now."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2021, 2:10 pm

The emperor slowly leans forward in his seat, joins his hands together, and says, "If you have a suggestion, please, do share it with us."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2021, 2:41 pm

Smirk takes a second to gather himself, exchanges a few wordless notes with Nick, and after a few silent nods and unconscious gesturing he starts his spiel - "Well, it's really kinda simple when you come down to it. I uh, wore a suit and a tie over in Voluptis, figured it was something that would keep city guards from spotting me at a distance. Efficacy was questionable, i guess, but the truth is - even though we don't talk about it much - Aspects don't really enjoy being out naked all the time. I mean it's not a horrible thing, not like is it to you people, but it's not fun. We just shrug and accept it, because what can you do, right? But that's when it hit me, most Aspects can carry things with them when they go to sleep, and bring them back out when the Summoner calls them. Now that's usually just weapons, but what if there were things you could make that an Aspect could carry in and out? You know, like a coat, a hat, a dress, a nice little flower for the ladies to tuck in the ear. I'm pretty sure they'd eat that up."

He takes a moment to make sure everyone is following along.

"Now here's the thing: anyone who cornered that market would control every store that sold a piece of Aspect Flair, right? Could set up a shell company, have shops pop up all over the Archipelago. And behind every counter there'd be an Agent, taking note of every Green Mage that came by to buy their Aspect a new pair of sunglasses." - he explains, before launching into a mild imitation of a sales clerk - "Oh hello madam. Why yes, those ribbons are all the rage right now for Air Aspects, you'll be the talk of town! Would you like to enter our discount program? All we need is your name and address!"

"And we get all those names and addresses, let fashion and capitalism bring them to us! And once we have that..." - he slightly raises his hands, as if contemplating the possibilities, then looks at Jacob - "I mean... gotta be a lot less Orbs to make when we have that info, right?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2021, 3:07 pm

Knowledge: Arcana 27
In theory, can magical formulas be written for enchantments or spells to put Nick's idea into practice? How long could the research potentially take?
Knowledge: Cult/Pol 33
How strong is Nick's market gimmick? Culture or Politics - my bonus for each is the same.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2021, 7:44 pm

"Very sneaky, Herr Ghostyman," says May, finally engaged in the conversation, "It vould be a good vay to get some of the stragglers registered."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2021, 10:48 pm

Samantha:

Anne raises an eyebrow at Nick, surprised by this novel idea, while Jacob taps his chin with his finger and contemplates something.

"Professor Howe?" the emperor asks.

"Hmm, yes, it is possible," the old man begins. "I've heard of a few weavers who've done something similar before, but they were all custom-made orders; nothing close to the scale that agent Bradshaw is proposing here. Aspects have an extra-dimensional place similar to the ones we find in Bags of Holdings, but they are fairly limited by comparison, hence why they usually bring only a weapon or two with them. A weaver can create clothes or jewels that ‘follow’ the Aspects into that extra-dimensional space, but they need to be attuned to the Aspect in question—a costly endeavor, even for small objects."

"So, we can't do it?" Marcus asks.

"Certainly not while we're at war. And even if we weren't, the green mages will need to fork over a sizable sum of money to weave the accessory."

"Can you make it less expensive?" Edward asks, curious.

"Maybe, but it would require a lot of research, which I don't have the time for."

Jacob seems disappointed by this news.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2021, 10:57 pm

Summoner and Aspect sigh in unison - "Yeah... well, guess that's that." - Smirk capitulates dejectedly.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2021, 11:12 pm

"We may not be able to afford a money sink, but we can still accomplish the goal by carrying out a recruitment plan for mages. Perhaps something a bit beyond the standard. A little more incentivizing."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4th Interlude: The Shield   4th Interlude: The Shield Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4th Interlude: The Shield
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next