A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

7th interlude: The Last Memory

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Kolson

Kolson

7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 10:20 pm

May is drinking heavily, even for her, while wiping away tears. "May make those bastards pay," she slurs.

Rémi has been quietly gathering the bodies together inside the largest remaining structure, to put them at rest with as much dignity as he can muster, which, given the time, is some sheets gathered from inside their homes thrown over the corpses. He wishes he could do more but there isn't time.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 10:36 pm

Nick and Smirk help Remi, while the ship makes ready to leave.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 10:51 pm

The dog languidly looks up at Evrard and initially doesn't move at all. But after a moment, it slowly gets up and follows him.

The fire has started to let up which is helping with the smoke, making it easier to breathe. It allows the group to gather the bodies, and after a few minutes, the captain of the Happy Frog comes into the village to talk to the squad members. He visibly winces at the sight of the bloody corpses, but without missing a beat, he says to Edward, "Everly and Bernice are in your cabin looking after Triston. They explained what happened and the crew is ready to sail at your command. Should I have the boys help you with the bodies first?"

The former imperial guard nods. "Yes, and let's hurry it up. The Lorinthians will get here soon."

"Yes, sir."

At Theodore's command, half of the crew comes into the village to help the squad members with this gruesome task. By the time they're done, everyone has blood on their hands.

Anne looks at the corpses, her face red because of her tears and the fire which has dried them.

"Sh-shouldn't we say something?" she asks the others.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 10:58 pm

Evrard rubs the back of his neck. He slowly ruffles the fur on the dog's head. "Never been good at this."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 11:15 pm

Nick and Smirk look at each other, share a look that is rare to see among them, all the more so for the Aspect. Nick goes to comfort his wife, while Smirk steps forward. His words, and the way in which he speaks them, it's hard to tell if he's speaking them for himself or his summoner.

"I..." - he hesitates, or maybe chokes, either way he has to stop himself a moment - "...seen and dealt death, so much more than i ever wanted. Did it, because the one thing we wanted to keep from happening was this..." - again, he has to stop a moment - "...i... you were all good people, you deserved someone who knew you all better to be standing here... you deserved to be standing here. That you're not, it's..."

He grits his teeth, trying to hold something back.

"I wish we could have saved even just one of you, instead of just standing here and say we'll make them pay. But if any ghost, or god, or the Eight everyone keeps swearing by is watching right now - or even if none of them are, i swear..." - heavier with pain, his voice starts getting raspier - "...i swear i'll make them pay!"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 11:42 pm

Rémi claps his chest plate in approval of Smirk and Nick's vow, having very much sworn the same thing. May raises her wine skin, roaring in approval.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 20 May 2023, 11:49 pm

Samantha approaches the covered bodies with the others. Firmly balling her fists, she speaks with an even tone that begins softly, and tenses with each word. "To each of you, I offer my deepest apologies. You suffered because we came here and lived among you. But I promise you, after we've saved the ones who were taken from us, the ones who lured you like cattle, and murdered you, will pay for it with their lives."

Evrard nods grimly. "Amen, Princess."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:02 am

The whole group has lowered their head while they listen to Nick's, Smirk's and Samantha's eulogy, and judging by the determined expressions of the sailors, they wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, expressing it just as loudly as May. And the first step in carrying out this plan is clear.

The group walks through the village and head toward the ship, ready to sail off.

Jacob hasn't moved from his spot. He's still sitting on the dock, staring at the water scintillating in the sunlight.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:07 am

Sam walks over to Jacob and sits down near him. "Hey. What are you thinking about?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:18 am

The fairy keeps staring at the water. He tries to speak, but stammers when his breath catches in his throat. He takes a moment to collect himself. "The poor people," he says, his voice cracking.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:24 am

"I know. They didn't deserve this. Words cannot express." Sam's eyes are a little puffy and reddened. She reaches into the water and scoops some to rinse her face. She reaches out to Jacob with one hand after wiping them on her pants.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:38 am

Jacob looks up to Samantha, tears in his eyes as well. The gentle touch of her finger on his head appears to soothe the pain, at least for a moment. The sailors continue onto the ship, and so do the remaining servants, but every other member of the squad stand behind Jacob and Samantha in solidarity. When the fairy notices, a sad smile creeps up on his face.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:46 am

Smirk walks up next to Jacob - "Hey buddy. I'm having a bad feeling on who it was that... that did this. If that bastard Jerry is after Gab and the others, a couple spare Orbs could come in handy."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 12:56 am

"The Mimic didn't do this, Nick," Jacob plainly states. "If it was, he'd have killed my brothers and sisters. But you'll get the orbs."

The fairy reluctantly stands up, sensing that they must leave soon.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 1:04 am

"I'm so sorry you had to see this. Come on, let's leave this place." She holds her hand out again, this time to pick him up.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 1:11 am

Jacob steps onto his friend's hand and lets her carry him as the group goes to board the ship. Once everyone is aboard and the sailors have cast off, the heavyset captain turns to the squad members and asks them, "Where to, now?"

Marcus looks at his companions and asks, "We're all agreed on going directly to Medial to save the fairies?"
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 1:15 am

Smirk pipes up - "Damn straight i want to. But..." - he nods toward the civvies - "Don't we need to drop them off somewhere safe?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 1:21 am

"I'm not going to leave Berenice in Medial, Chief," says Evrard. "I've seen what the man on the throne does to people who know you, so you can count on my help to end him. But Berenice is getting on the first boat out of there when we arrive. I'd rather get Inge's help with finding a new safehouse, but it's at your option."

Overlooking Evrard's tone, Samantha turns to Edward for his professional input. "We should see to their safety. What do you think?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 1:42 am

"I agree," Edward says before turning to Theodore. "How long would a detour to Vertraute take?"

"It might delay us for a few hours, but it's still on the way to Medial," the captain answers.

"Marcus?" Edward looks at the former colonel.

"I think it's the most sensible course of action," he answers.

"To Vertraute it is."

"There's a safe house there where I can take our people," Ingeburg says. "Nobody knows about it except me. They'll be safe there; I promise you."

"You make sure it stays that way."

The old spy nods and leaves to explain the situation to Everly, Bernice and the others. Meanwhile, Marcus looks at his companions and tells them, "Make sure to rest. Because once we're in Medial, we might not be able to."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 21 May 2023, 1:48 am

"Will do, Inge. You've done so much for us. Thank you."

"Yes, we can't thank you enough. And you Evrard. And you too, Remi."

Evrard allows present company a glimpse of a smile in reply, and turns to go, leading the dog to a quiet place to rest.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 26 May 2023, 10:26 pm

As he follows the others out to seek his rest, Rémi nods at Sam, and says, "Any time."

May looks awful. Her eyes are red from crying and she's still covered in ash from the fires, but worse she's drunk. Like drunk drunk, not just converting alcohol into magic "drunk" like she usually is. When the team breaks she leaves without a word, stumbling into the wall next to the door before wobbling in the direction of her cabin.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 26 May 2023, 10:36 pm

Smirk goes to help May avoid the walls on the way to her room, while Nick stays with his wife.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 26 May 2023, 10:42 pm

May eventually ends up full leaning onto Smirk about halfway back to the cabin where she asks him to help her washup before heading to bed. She'll give him a kiss on the cheek as thanks before he goes.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 26 May 2023, 11:31 pm

Everyone either retired to their quarters or found a secluded place where they could mourn the villagers and family members who died today. The only ones who stayed active were the sailors, and it was because they had to maintain the ship on its present course. Nevertheless, Theodore found a moment to bring May some food and make sure she was as comfortable as she could be. Marcus stayed with Jacob, exchanging a few encouraging words with the young fairy and promising him to rescue his siblings from the emperor's clutches. Anne stayed with her husband only for a minute before she pushed him toward his mother; the two of them would only have a few more hours before they reached Vertraute after all, and they needed to spend that time together.

It is around one o'clock in the afternoon when they reach the coastal town and unload their passengers at the docks. Ingeburg Springer wishes good luck to her two former subordinates, Rémi and Evrard, and gives them an awkward hug.

"Don't get killed now," she tells them.

Bernice walks up to her husband, her hands trembling, but her gaze steady.

"And you make sure to come back to me," she says in a firm tone.

As for Everly, she hugs her daughter-in-law with more affection than she ever displayed before, and with tears in her eyes, she whispers something to her ear. Anne nods in response, and Everly turns to her sons next.

"My boys..." she says softly. "You be careful, okay?"

While watching this scene, Jacob sits on May's shoulder and hugs her neck tightly.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 26 May 2023, 11:37 pm

Nick nods, then hugs mom tight. Smirk soon follows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7th interlude: The Last Memory   7th interlude: The Last Memory - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

7th interlude: The Last Memory
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next