A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
AuthorMessage
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 12:23 am

"Yup." Hunter nods to the people gathered in the room. "I'm one of Fallcrest's new Senior Rangers now, guys."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 12:25 am

Kat widens her eyes and says, "You are? Congratulation to you too then! But... does that mean you'll be leaving us? Our group I mean."
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 12:29 am

Hunter smiles wider and shakes his head. "Nope! I am to continue as your liaison and do everything I can to make sure this alliance succeeds."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 12:30 am

"Oh! Great then."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 12:36 am

"Great, now i'm the only one in the party without a cool title!" - Carlos grins.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 1:06 am

"Oh Carlos," says Zoe, hugging the dwarf, "You'll always be Zorgulmir to me."

Yorenan doesn't know what that means so he moves things along instead, saying, "I'm happy for your support, Ser Kathryn, but I just want you to know that part of the reason I took the job is so I can support your mission going forward. So don't hesitate to call on us for help. With Hunter helping coordinate our efforts I'm sure we'll be victorious."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 1:09 am

"I'll make sure to take you up on that offer!" the knight says with a smile. "I can't think of a better man to put in charge of the Fallcrest Rangers."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 2:43 pm

Carlos once again enjoys the benefits of small stature - "Aww, i couldn'a done it without ya."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 10:15 pm

"While I certainly agree, Ser Kathryn, we should get back to the topic of the ceremony, " says Stockmer, "Now, we need someone to do the opening speech and we need to figure out the order of the signatories. Any suggestions?"

Lonetree clears his throat and says, "I believe Ser Kathryn would be the best choice this time. Everyone is technically allying with her."

"Do you think you'll feel comfortable enough doing that?" asks Symania, "We could come up with some topics together if you'd like."

Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm

Kathryn isn't surprised when Lonetree suggests that she be the one to give the opening speech. In fact, she expected it. "Yes, I think I can handle that," she says. "...In fact, it would be strange if someone else did it. I'll gladly take your suggestions. And anyone else's too."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 10:40 pm

"Well, this will be your first opportunity to say what the alliance is and what it stands for. What kinds of things we hope to accomplish, at least in the near term," says Zoe, "This ceremony is largely a formality so it will be a good practice for when we try to convince other communities to join."

"Well, mutual defense is a big one," says Terron.

Jojo adds, "And trade. You can't go wrong reminding people of the economic benefits of mutual cooperation."

"Yes, those are both great places to start," says Zoe, "I'd also add that we aren't looking to replace any leaders, just work with existing leadership. That should help sell the idea to the smaller communities. Any other ideas?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 11:07 pm

"Trade is good, but we need to stress the common values behind our alliance, the ones we encourage versus the ones that we fight against. That will help us form ties that stick past common enemies in preparation for the next time our peace is threatened, and especially if we promise to come to the aid of those who sign on."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 11:36 pm

"Ugh, speeches..." - Carlos scratches his head in frustration - "Gon' be tough, talkin' bout what the threat actually is. Gobs, Shadowmire... can't go mentionin' Nesme, duh, we still playin' that one under the table." - he crosses his arms, to help him think - "Maybe start it out with why it's called the White Well alliance, move on ta the practical stuff, then the threat, an' top it off with ya values? Get ta the point quick with the first one, though. Ya got a friendly audience ta'day but they'l want ya keep it short an' sweet when ya tell it at Fall an' the 'Fasts. Short attention spans, an' all."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm

Kathryn listens to the suggestions and considers them carefully as she weighs the pros and cons of each one. "Hmm, it'll be a lot to fit in a speech... I'll need some time to sort it all out. But there's one thing I'd like to make sure of; we do agree to tell everyone about Shadowmire and his plans to conquer the Vale, right?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 11:52 pm

"Yes. We need to be transparent with them. Imagine if they learned later that we kept it a secret? We would only make it harder for them to trust us. It's better if they hear it now."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Feb 2020, 11:53 pm

Carlos thinks - "Ain't much about this be clear cut, but that one prob'ly a safe bet. How ya gon' talk 'bout the Gobs, though? We still trying ta sort things out wi'them without havin' ta kill each other an' all."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Feb 2020, 12:01 am

Kat nods gravely at Hunter's opinion and then turns to face Carlos. "We tell them the truth," she answers him. "We defeated Mozeric and his men and decided to spare their lives after making them promise to fight Shadowmire and the Daggerburg until they were defeated. And that they helped us save the Iron Arrow survivors. Uh, former Iron Arrows."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Feb 2020, 12:04 am

Carlos strokes his beard - "Spared their lives, eh? Maybe rather say we came to an agreement? Might not wanna bruise their pride when they're standin' right there. They did right by us an' all."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Feb 2020, 12:06 am

"Hmm. That's true."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Feb 2020, 12:44 am

"That should be more than enough material for a speech. Let's hammer out the signing order real fast," says Lonetree. You guys spend the next few minutes discussing the pros and cons of different orders but finally settle on Kat, Alani, Stockmer, Leo, and Jojo. You guys then spend the rest of the hour working on Kathryn's speech. When the time finally arrives, you all leave Stockmer's study together, cool walking in slow motion together to show how much you got this ceremony thing. Truly it's a masterwork of Edgar Wright-ian proportions.

When you guys arrive at the courtyard, it's filled to the gills with Harkenwolders, elves, and goblins. You spot many familiar faces in the crowd, from Moz and his son, to Kathryn and Hunter's many family members, and all the many friends you've made since you arrived, like John, Illy, Bill, Sarah, Robert, Folan, Ara, Shandalar, Bobble Flomsby, Gorduin and Munchers, Hush, Miri, Febe, Sorsha, and finally Ser Cinnamon. Eni also looms large in Kathryn's mind, her patron's approval and pride in her knight's accomplishments greatly bolstering Kathryn's courage.

With her friends at her side, the crowd grows silent as Kathryn steps forward, waiting for her to speak.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Feb 2020, 12:51 am

Hunter smiles and waves like a doofus to John and the gang. Then he sees Shandalar, and he goes back to conducting himself more professionally.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Feb 2020, 1:52 am

"People of the Vale!" Kathryn waits until every person in the crowd has quieted down before she continues her speech. "My name is Ser Kathryn Elwin Amblecrown. Some of you may know me or my family already, but to those who don't... well, let's just say that I'm a girl from Marl who liked stories about the Last Legion a little too much and pestered an old man into teaching me how to hold a sword and swing at baddies with it." She smiles at the people gathered here, exchanging a look with Robert who's standing in the middle of them. "One thing led to another, and I somehow ended up a knight after I promised an Archfey, Lady Eninahes of the White Well, that I would free her from an unjust curse that imprisons her in her own domain—I know, it sounds crazy when I say it out loud, but that's what really happened...

"After many years away, I've returned to the Vale with my friends from the Golden River Guild. We were only planning to help the Rangers kill a few bullywugs before we moved on to Fallcrest to trade with the merchants there, but we learned something in that cave..." She pauses to emphasize the importance of her next words. "The dragon Shadowmire is rallying monsters and outcasts under his banner with the intention of conquering the Vale."

Kathryn expected the crowd to grow restless at this news, and so she lets them mutter among each other for a moment before she calls for their attention again by raising her hand. "Yes, when I say dragon, I mean exactly that. Shadowmire exists, and he'll do anything to achieve his goals. That is why the Daggerburg attacks were more organized recently, and why the Iron Arrows were forced out of their land. We suspect he's also behind the drow attack on the Moondancers' land and many other schemes."

She gives the people a moment to process this. "That's why we're all here today; because our homes are threatened by would-be conquerors who wouldn't think twice about enslaving us! People who would take everything we've built as their own! And if we do nothing, that's exactly what's going to happen."

Kathryn straightens her posture and gazes at the crowd with a determined expression on her face. "Well, I sure as hells ain't going to let that happen. And neither will the people standing behind me." She gestures at the other leaders of the Alliance. "Because all of us live together in the Vale, and if we want to continue doing so, we will have to protect it together. Humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, and yes, even goblins. Goblins who've surrendered to us and promised to protect our people until Shadowmire is defeated."

She looks at Mozeric, and then at his son. "And we will need their help if we hope to succeed. We have a truce with the Daggerburg clan, but that's all it is. Once the truce ends in ten years, war will come to the Vale and we will have to be ready for it by then. Which means we'll need to ally with every other settlement in the Vale, organize trade routes everywhere, build defenses, train militias...

"It won't be easy. Fighting a war is certainly not what I was wishing for when I came back home... but it must be done. And I know we will succeed, if we all join together as one, like we did this past week. The enemy failed in Toadwallow when they were trying to carry out a dark ritual. They failed in East Wood when they tried to divide the elves. They failed at the Battle of the Two Creeks, and at the Dance under the Moonlight, and the Raid on the Slavers' Dens. And gods willing, they will fail again in ten years when the Alliance of the White Well stands against them!"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Feb 2020, 11:07 pm

The crowd cheers, none louder than your friends. Lonetree and Griffin step forward with the oversize parchment with the treaty written on it and unroll it on the nearby table set there for the ceremony. Her brother presents her with a pen, and Kathryn goes about writing her name at the top of the space provided. She then hands the pen to Alani for her to sign, and on and on, finally ending with Jojo.

Once the merchant has finished and set down the pen, Lord Stockmer steps forward and says, "And so our alliance is official," says Stockmer, before pulling out a letter and holding it up. "This letter is from the Lord Warden of Fallcrest, and says:

'To the honorable White Well Alliance,

Let it be known that word of your battles have reached us here in Fallcrest. It vexes us so to hear of the plight of our cousins in Harkenwold and the surrounding peoples, especially when we are united so by shared love of home, tradition, and blood. For once Fallcrest stood hand in hand with our cousins as the protectors and capital of this Imperial Province of the Nerathi Empire, and while those great days are in our shared past, the future remains the providence of all those who wish to seize it. On that note I, Lord Warden Markelhay, pledge that Fallcrest will stand with you against this common threat.'
"

Stockmer rolls the letter back up and addresses the crowd once more, "Fallcrest is the first of many friends that will help us expand our Alliance and already they have expressed interest in learning the ways of the Rangers so that they may protect Fallcrest and her surrounding communities. To that end, Ranger leadership has seen fit to send some of their own, to found a new chapter in Fallcrest, and our very own Yorenan Oakley has been selected to be their first Captain." This announcement is met by more cheering, for Yorenan has been a popular and effective Ranger for almost his entire adult life. Stockmer concludes by saying, "My sincere congratulations to him, it is a well earned promotion. That concludes this ceremony. Please, enjoy our hospitality, for this is a day and night of celebration! Three cheers for the Alliance!" And so, the Old Man leads the crowd in the cheers as the ceremony comes to an end.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Feb 2020, 11:28 pm

Hunter uses Thaumaturgy to duplicate his voice by throwing it on himself and cheering along to it. Noble laughs in startled confusion when he hears another voice that sounds just like his friend, at the same time as his friend.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Feb 2020, 11:08 pm

Epilogue: The Knight and the Wolf:

Epilogue: The Amblecrowns:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 34 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 34 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next