A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty   Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Jun 2022, 11:20 pm

"On it!" Gabby replies.

Her and her dozen of siblings leave the cabin and head down to the galley.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty   Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun 2022, 11:51 am

Steve and Brünhilde:

Mihai and Amber:

Konrad and Femke:
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty   Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun 2022, 12:06 pm

07:49 PM, 6th of August, 203 A.F.
Anne's apartment, Haven

It has now been a week since the 17th squad has returned to Haven, the capital of the Empire, and the whole military is gearing up for the war with Emerald. King Axon has declared independence from the Empire and denied access to imperial vessels, and there have been multiple reports of skirmishes with the Emeraldian navy. Under normal circumstances, the members of the 17th squad would have already been sent on an assignment behind enemy lines, but Emperor Kieran Hammerfist has instead ordered them to stand by; their primary concern after all is the completion of the Shield Project, not the war with Emerald.

Which is why Anne decided that now was the perfect time for a girls night out.

"Everything begins with how you dress," Anne says, standing next to her bed on which she placed several types of dresses. "What you wear will show how you want tonight to end. A one-night stand?" She picks up a skimpy red dress in one hand. "Or something more serious?" She picks up a more conservative dress in the other.

Sam makes a sour face at the sheer dress. "I want my night to go out with a bang, but not like that." She faces side of the bed where the outfits made of ampler cloth are arranged. "Can we try and do both?"

"Of course! Did you also drink tea, like I told you to?" Anne puts down the red dress and starts looking at the more casual ones.

"Yes. Just like you said. This one?" Sam gravitates toward the ones that she knows would protect her like a stone wall, and puts a finger on a modest dress. A little tighter, shows off the arms, and goes down to the knees.

"You like it? I think I also have some underwear that matches it. Come on, let's put it on!" Anne helps her companion with the dress, and after a few minutes, brings her in front of the mirror. "You look great! Just need some lipstick, maybe some eyeliner, and you'll be ready to go! Ever put on some?"

Sam's dress:

Sam rolls her eyes. "I've been on dates, remember?" She pulls out her kit and gets to work. "I've just never put on so much that it made me sneeze..."

Anne giggles and gently pushes her to the side so she has enough place to put her own makeup.

"You definitely won't need to, Sam. You're very pretty already. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand why you've never been with a man before. Unless..." She thinks for a second. "You've been with a woman?"

Sam smirks at her small makeup mirror. "No... Mother just raised me right, that's all. Why? Are you remembering a story?"

"Oh, just some kissing. Never went farther than that. She was very pretty, and I was... curious." The white mage smiles. "I mostly remember how we kept knocking our teeth because of how drunk we were."

She laughs at the memory.

Sam laughs. "Well, I sorta had the same experience. I just wish I could say I was drunk, because it was also my first."

Still smiling, Anne raises an eyebrow at her companion. "Oh, really? Should we be on the lookout for members of the fairer sex, then?"

Sam shakes her head. "No, no. We did it on a dare, not because we liked it. But no man has ever kissed me like that. And you better not tell anyone!"

Anne lets out a hearty laugh. "I promise I won't! Although, if I ever told May about it..."

She starts to imagine several scenarios, and her smile grows wider.

Sam accidentally smears her mouth with her lipstick and looks directly at Anne.

"NEVER tell May!"

"AHAHAH! But just imagine!"

Sam shakes her head, turns back to her makeup mirror, and wipes away the smudge she made with a tissue. "I swear, between the two of you, I'll be a grayhead before I'm forty..."

"As long as you've found someone nice to settle down with, then you'll be fine! Speaking of, we need to decide on a battle plan. What's your type? Any preferences?"

Sam delicately combs her eyelashes as she rattles off her points. "Let me see... Someone smart. Well, smart enough? Serious, but not too serious. A warrior, someone you're just as likely to see on the tourney field as in the stands. And ehm, 'elevated'? Probably a little older than me, too. I've never gone wrong with 'tall, dark and handsome', even though haven't made it with any."

Anne continues to apply her powder on her cheeks without looking away from the mirror.

"Wait, what do you mean by ‘elevated?’"

"Well you know, not some laborer or a serf. Came from money or made it. Might own a business, or even his own land. But not too much land, though, he'd be too...important. You know what I mean, right?"

"Yeah, I get it. No big fish like Prince Hammerfist or His Imperial Majesty Edward Fox—although, I guess he technically isn't landed yet."

Anne stops putting makeup as she begins to contemplate something.

Sam hasn't noticed, and begins applying blush. "No, but landed or not, he's the emperor's son, and he'll marry a king's daughter, or a duke's."

"Oh, he definitely will, but a lot of things can happen until then," the white mage says with a smirk. "Did you hear that he'll be joining us on our missions from now on? Marcus just received the news."

Sam pauses, and then resumes. "I didn't. That's a smart play. He'll get experience in the field and have the chance to gain knowledge that will be vital to his rule, without risking a scandal."

Inexplicably, Anne bursts out laughing.

Sam stops and looks at her friend, bewildered. "What?"

She waves the question away. "It-It's nothing," she says, giggling. "It's just, what if the experience he gets is the one you're looking for tonight? HMM?"

Sam doesn't have to process that for a second. Nonetheless, the blush on her cheeks is soon filled before she has even finished. "I told you, I want something serious. That can never happen with the royal family, not even Edward. Especially Edward."

"Sure, sure. I'll stop teasing you." Then her expressions turns serious, and after a moment of consideration, she turns to look at the young woman and says, "Just keep in mind... we're at war, Sam. There'll be plenty of men tonight who would gladly spend the night with you. But if you want more than that... I don't know. It might be hard to find, especially for people like us."

Sam sighs and returns to her hand mirror. "I know, Anne. Still, I'm going to aim for the promise of more with the man I meet tonight. Even if that means paying for it later."

Her friend smiles. "It's not a bad attitude to have." She looks back into the mirror and applies the final touches of her makeup. "And... ready! How about you?"

"Oh, I need another minute."

Sam finishes her blush, puts on some eye color, and adds the finishing touches over the next 5 minutes. When she's done, she turns to the White Mage.

Anne's lips curl into a warm smile. "You're splendid, Sam. You'll knock them all out."

Sam smiles back. "And with a little help from a friend, I'll take one home..." She gets goosebumps saying it. Thinking about it.

"Oh, I don't think you'll need much help. Come on, let's get to it."

The two of them leave Anne's apartment and head to the establishment where they'll spend their evening: Sweetalk.

The Sweettalk is a high-class lounge located in the downtown area of Haven where nobles, merchants and other people of influence meet and socialize. When the two women enter the lavishly decorated anteroom, they are greeted by a young man whose attire immediately identifies him as a servant.

"Welcome to the Sweettalk," he says, greeting them with a bow.

"Your names, please?"

"Anne Wood, and this is Samantha Walters."

The servant checks his list, then nods at them and says, "Thank you. I wish you a pleasant evening, misses."

"Thank you."

With a radiant smile, Anne takes Samantha’s arm and guides her into the lounge proper. There, countless people—all of them well dressed and behaved—are mingling about, drinking wine, champagne, or other strong alcohol.

A dozen men have already glanced at the two women, and a couple even smiled at them.

See?” Anne whispers. “You’re already turning heads.

Hardly surprising to Samantha. She flashes a nervous smile at them before looking away. The atmosphere and the concept of walking up to one of them seem to change in accordance with her intentions for tonight. She didn't dare look at the women already mingling around.

"Thanks. Uh, let's go grab some stools."

"Good idea." Anne appears to have visited this establishment before, because she leads them to one of the corners of the bar which gives a wide view of the whole room. The bartender behind the counter takes their order and quickly gives them their drink.

"So, anyone caught your eye yet?" the white mage before sipping on her cocktail.

Awareness 17 - lookin' for some tight bodies.

Samantha easily finds several candidates that fit her description of "dark, tall and handsome", one of whom is very tall—almost 6'5'—and very muscular judging by the way his biceps are straining the fabric of his jacket. He smiles at her when he notices her looking at him, but she averts her gaze to look at the other patrons. The second man that catches her attention is a young and very handsome man who is telling a funny story to a group of peers who laugh very loudly.

"Don't look too hard, or they'll come faster than a wolf chasing a rabbit," Anne whispers, amused.

It's just mingling. She's done it many times before. Friendly faces smile from across the room, grab drinks, chat, and say goodbye. Only tonight "goodbye" is coming after an event. A pretty big event. It's a mission. Yes, that'll do. Sam looks back toward Anne and takes a gulp of cocktail. "A couple. One's almost six-and-a-half and built like a damn bear. There's a younger guy telling a joke to his friends. I want to wait until he's not, and see what he's like then."

Anne discreetly looks at the two men in question and grins. "Nice. I just saw the bear glance at you right now. The other guy would probably be pretty easy to talk to. Maybe we could—"

The white mage suddenly stops talking, her gaze suddenly drawn to one of the private alcoves located on the second floor of the lounge and which overlooks the main room.

"What? Anne?"

She motions with her chin at the second floor. When Sam follows her gaze, she sees Edward Fox, now wearing a noble suit instead of his usual armor, one that's more modest compared to the other patrons here, but still of top-quality. He's speaking to two other men.

"That's a surprise," Anne says.

Sam's voice catches before she can speak. "Y-yeah..." She pulls her eyes off of Edward to look at Anne. No need to give the patrons a chance to notice, and then get ideas. "What's he doing here? Why isn't he at the palace?"

"No idea." She falls silent and continues to stare at the Captain of the Imperial Guard. Then she glances at Sam and asks, "Do you want to talk to him?"

Sam thinks for a few seconds. She would like to find out, but... "No. It's probably better if we're not seen together. We can ask him what this is about later."

The corner of Anne's lips curl into a lopsided smile. "We'd just be greeting an acquaintance. Besides, he just came out of a private alcove; nobody would see us there."

Sam raises an eyebrow. Between Anne and May, what she said earlier is a prophecy. She feels it for certain. "I don't care. I'm on a mission of my own right now," she insists, blushing a little at the dirty meaning behind her words.

"I understand," the white mage replies with a smile. She then looks up at the Imperial Guard once more and notices that his conversation with the two nobles is nearing its end. "Are you sure though? Now would be your perfect chance."

"Good. It'll be gone forever when we miss it. And after that, we can just focus on the man with the tallest, hardest body in the room."

The two nobles say their goodbyes to the captain and climb down the stairs leading to the first floor of the lounge. Just as Edward is about to return to his alcove, Anne stands up from her stool and starts waving at him. "Hey, Ed! Long time no see!"

Oh, dammit. "Anne!" Sam whispers hoarsely in protest.

"Anne, no!"

Her friend doesn't even acknowledge her and continues waving at Edward. A few patrons turn to look at the woman who suddenly shouted, but almost immediately refocus their attention back to their conversation at hand. The babel of the crowd is too noisy for them to be distracted by a single woman calling out to her friend.

Edward, who's stopped in his tracks when he heard his name, notices the two squad members sitting at the bar. He approaches the handrail to look at the first floor before his gaze falls on Anne, then on Sam. It lingers there.

Sam freezes.

Edward motions for them to join him, and he walks towards the stairs to meet them at the top.
"See? Everything's fine," Anne says as she takes Sam's hand and proceeds to drag her through the crowd.

Sam shakes her head. "Fine, we'll say hello. Too late now." Looking up at Edward then, however, he did look quite handsome. Or rather, he does look handsome. No, Sam. Remember the rippling muscles.

The two of them climb up the stairs and stop in front of Edward Fox, who welcomes them with a smile.

"Anne. Samantha." He nods to the both of them. "So good to see you."

Like a gentleman, he bows and kisses the hand that Anne has offered him, then moves to do the same to Samantha.

She allows it, smiling back, and warmth begins to grow from within. "Yes, it's nice to meet you... Edward. What brings you out here?" The general query is a veil placed delicately over the more direct line of questioning: what business pulls the Imperial Guard away from the palace...?

"Business, unfortunately. However, I am free at the moment, so maybe we could continue this conversation somewhere else?" He gestures at his private alcove, hidden away behind a red velvet curtain.

"What do you think, Sam?" Anne asks.

Samantha gives her friend another look, not blind to what she's up to. "Sure," she answers, "we'd love to get better acquainted with you, sir." She waits for him to move first.

Edward nods, walks towards his alcove, and lifts the curtain for them, revealing a large table shaped into a half oval. A round leather banquette runs along the wall, allowing up to eight people to sit around the wall. The captain invites them to sit first.

"Oh no, please go first," Anne says.

The man raises an eyebrow but doesn't object. Once his back is turned to them, Anne looks at looks at Samantha and motions for her to sit on his right while she takes the left.

Sam rolls her eyes and nods and takes the spot on Edward's left. If he's a womanizer, better that he have an equal chance of making a move on Sam rather than having Anne all to himself. Not that she's interested, of course.

Edward sits in the middle of the banquette and freezes once he realizes that the two women are about to sandwich him. He quickly regains his composure however. He checks that the curtain is back in place, and his demeanor changes.

"What happened?" he asks, now tense.

"Oh, nothing happened, Sam hastens to explain, and explain even more before they put him off. "Anne and I were just very curious to learn about more about that business that brings you here. Or, more about you, if you would rather not. Then, she lowers her voice: "After all, we are going to be partners on our next job."

Edward frowns ever so slightly when Samantha says that nothing happened, but then his expression softens when she launches into a whole explanation. Once she's finished, he clears his throat and says, "I... I apologize. I did not mean to sound rude; I just wasn't expecting to meet you here. Yes, I would very much like to learn more about you two." His gaze lingers on Samantha for just an instant when he says that. "Please, would you like something to drink? Something to eat? I can have someone take our order."

"We did leave our drinks at the bar..." Anne remarks.

"Oh, bells, we did," Sam agrees, not committed to the idea of replacing them.

"We'll order you new ones. We don't want to risk someone having tampered with them. And don't worry about your tab; I'll cover for it." Edward presses on a concealed wooden button located in the middle of the table while Anne gives Sam a discreet smile.

"Now tell me: how do you feel about me joining your team? I know how tight-knit some squad mates can become, and I do not want to disrupt the teamwork you've developed over the last few weeks."

Ah, logistics and organization! Sam launches into the topic. "Well, that depends entirely on you, I would say. The only person you'll have to worry about is May, you know what she's like? I just think it's an excellent idea to have you on. Besides the Colonel, you'll be our only out-and-out trooper, so there's definitely a role for you to fill. Do you have any other outstanding skills? You used to work for the Agency..."

Edward is about to answer when someone knocks at their booth and asks, "Yes, sir?"

"Come in, Daniel."

A servant in his forties opens the curtain and walks into the small alcove.

"These two young ladies left their drinks at the bar," Edward says. "Please add them to my tab and bring new ones.  Samantha? Anne? Would you like anything else?"

"I don't know," Anne says. "What do you think, Sam? You feeling hungry?"

"I think I could go for a little something. Let's see...." Sam opens a menu flyer on the table, browses the appetizers, and puts her finger on the devils-on-horseback.

"How about this, Anne?"

Devils-on-horsebacks:

"Oh, that looks great. And it won't dirty our hands," she replies. She then turns to Edward. "We wouldn't want to impose, though."

The captain dismisses her concern with a wave of his hand. "Daniel?"

"At once, sir."

The servant leaves the group alone, and Edward refocuses his attention back to the two ladies. He seems more at ease than before.

"Well, to answer your question, I'm a red mage who was trained to use white and yellow magic, which is a perfect fit for a captain of the Imperial Guard. But please keep that a secret; I'd rather leave the enemy guessing as to what I am capable of."

"I never would have thought that you'd be a red mage," Anne comments, surprised. "Especially since you were raised in a Stoic monastery."

"That's because I wasn't; it's a story we've fabricated to hide my true abilities. I was actually raised in Atak, in Myr."

"In Myr?" Sam echoes. "What was it like when you grew up there?"

"Ever met Myrzen warriors?"

Sam shakes her head. "I've read about them..."

Anne chuckles, but lets Edward speak.

"They're fierce, stubborn to a fault, and allergic to any authority that's derived from anything other than strength. My childhood there was grueling, but I do miss it sometimes..." His mind seems to wander for an instant, but then he looks back at Samantha and says, "It's a beautiful land of extremes, full of of the worst and the best people I've ever met."

"Wow. That description puts the books to shame... I didn't get to see as much of Emerald as I would have liked, but now I have to visit Myr, someday."

A smile appears on Edward's face, this one looking more genuine than the last one he gave them.

"I'll take you, then." He catches himself, realizing what he just said. "I mean... One of our missions will certainly take us there someday."

Anne grins at the slip-up, but remains silent.

Sam gets lost in Edward's smile until he blinks and stutters. She catches Anne and gives her the most subtle sour glare that she can muster, before looking for a way to salvage Edward's foul-up. "What a great idea, Captain. One day we'll go on a mission to the wild wonderful land of Myr! Anne and I will wine and dine the best people, while you and May menace the worst!"

Edward hesitates for an instant, but smiles once more. "I certainly hope I'll get to dine with you too."

Wait, did that really salvage anything, or just make it worse? Careful, Sam. Still, it's a little cute that he forgot where they are. Sam smiles and stifles a giggle. "Ed, we're dining together right now."

Right at this moment, the servant returns with the drinks and the appetizers. Once he's left, Edward looks at the food and says, "I'm not sure that counts as a dinner..."

"Not unless we order more," Anne adds.

"Oh, I suppose you're right," says Sam. "We'll have a real dinner together on the ship. The cook on the Happy Frog knows how to make a good meal." She grabs one of the meat treats and takes the first bite, leaving behind a bare toothpick. "Mmm!"

"Hey, leave me some!" Anne exclaims before she digs in as well.

Soon, the three of them are eating from the tray, and Edward begins to ask questions about the ladies' own childhood and their time at the ISA. The more they speak, the more Sam realizes that her friend is doing her best to keep the attention on the rogue instead of herself. She does it by providing short answers to the questions Edward may have, then pushing Sam to answer them in details. It's subtle enough however that Edward doesn't appear to have noticed it.

Over the next hour, the drinks continue to flow, and for each glass that Sam takes, Anne drinks two. While Samantha and Edward are feeling tipsy, Anne is inebriated enough to sway from left to right. Suddenly, she stands up from her seat and says, "Well, I think it's high time time I left and went to bed. Thank you for this wonderful time, Edward—you've been a gracious host."

Edward stands up as well. "I should escort you both back home then."

"Oh, there's no need. I know how to defend myself, and Sam clearly wants to stay. Right, Sam?"

Samantha is actually keeping herself together quite well, feeling the urge to do the same. Alcohol was always funny that way. Meanwhile, the implications of going home with Edward race through her mind... It's fine, she knows what will happen. Or rather what won't. Denying something that never happened is easy. But Anne clearly needs help. "I can stay... But Anne, you're in no state! You need some help."

"Fine, fine!" She raises her hands and begins to cast a familiar white spell: Esuna. Once the magic dissipates, Anne is back to her sober state, and with a wide smile, she tells Sam, "You see? All good."

"Heeey, can't you cast one for me?"

"I can, yes." Anne grins at her friend, pull backs the curtain and waves goodbye at her. "See you later!"

Then she steps out of the alcove, leaving Samantha alone with Edward. He ponders for a second, then sits back down next to her.

"It looks like she's abandoned you."

He smiles.

"Yes indeed, the little snark." She ponders the space between herself and Edward, and inches closer. "Thank you. I knew you wouldn't have ran off with her, but thank you anyway."

The Imperial Guard gazes into Samantha's eyes, and after some consideration, places his hand on her waist and gently pulls her closer. "I thought you might run away from me for a moment there."

She looks down at her waist. The warmth she felt from the hand kiss comes back, spreading out. It must have been the fruity drink, but she doesn't mind him getting more-than-friendly. "Nah," she says, looking up at him again, "I'm not the sort of gal who runs away from trouble."

Edward raises an eyebrow and asks, "I'm trouble?"

Sam smiles and giggles. Bells. What exactly is she resisting? This feels way too good. If she's going to have her first tonight, she can't go wrong with Edward. The future ruler of the Empire... But only for one night. Better find out how he'd feel about that, though, soon.

"Oh, you have no idea how much trouble you are, sir."

"Maybe I don't." He tightens his grip on her waist. "But I don't think you're too worried about that. Am I wrong?"

Damn. That's doing it. She shakes her head, and turns in her seat to better face him, encouraging him. "Far from it."

Edward hesitates for an instant, but then leans forward and closes the distance between the two of them until only a few inches separate them. He never stops looking into her eyes.

Tsk. Not bold enough, Brave Sir Edward. Sam goes in for the kiss.

The moment their lips touch, Edward attempts to add the tongue, which she reciprocates without hesitation. Taking this as a sign, he slowly moves his right hand towards her bosom while he places his left hand on the inner side of her thigh. It then moves closer to her center.

Sam gasps, and places her hand on his arm before it can displace her skirt, puts her other hand on his shoulder, and presses gently as she breaks the kiss. "Wait - I have to tell you something."

Edward doesn't remove his hands, but he stops his advance and waits for her to speak.

"Yes?"

"Just a fair warning. What you're thinking right now - I haven't done it before. But you're really sweet, and I would love for you to be my first, if you're not put off by that."

He slightly tilts his head at her confession. "You've never done it before? But you're so beautiful."

Samantha blushes and smiles. Yeah, I've heard that one... She speaks again, a little firmly: "And I have two conditions. First, we find a bed. Second, be gentle on me."

He returns her smile, scoots over to stand up, and offers her his hand. "Shall we go then?"

She takes his hand and pulls herself up. "Lead the way... Ed."

Edward pays the tab for the night and the pair of them leave the lounge, walking under the moonlight towards the noble district of the city. Samantha soon realizes that he's taking her to the palace.

She feels nervous again. Not many people can say they had their first time at the royal palace in a plush bed. But somehow it feels verboten. It feels like...trouble. And Sam doesn't run away from trouble. If he warns her that they need to sneak around, she will certainly help.

This doesn't happen. Edward leads her through the main entrance, where everyone can see them. The other guards don't say a word to their captain and salute him in silence as they pass through the doors and head towards the residential wing of the palace. Although she's not familiar with the layout, once they arrive at his chambers, she's nevertheless aware that they're close to the emperor's quarters.

Edward opens the door for her and lets her in. The room inside is majestic, and the bed twice the size that she's used to.

Samantha cringes in the presence of the guards, feeling it eerie that they pay her no mind. In her situation, it feels like she's on some royal mission to have the prince's babies, even if he's a secret bastard.

Once they are inside the room, she loses her train of thought and just gapes at the entire room, never having seen inside a royal bedroom before. Finally, she turns to him.

"Bells..." Then, she shakes off her surprise, and grins to one side. "Do you bring all the girls here, Captain, or just the really tall ones?"

Edward smiles as he removes his jackets and places it on a nearby chair. He presses on a button on the wall, and several yellow magical lanterns light up, revealing just how lavish this room is. "Only those I trust," he replies, walking towards her. "Like you."

He places his hands on her waist and pulls her closer.

Samantha's breath is gone by the time he speaks again, and she almost melts right there after what he says. She moves closer and puts her arms over his and reciprocates the embrace. Left speechless, she goes in for the kiss, and starts working at first piece of clothing her hands can reach. Remembering the stories her friends would tell, the details about Anne's night with Nick, she draws from the semblance of 2nd-hand experience that coalesces in her mind - as if she memorized a book about the art of making love. It was better than nothing.

Edward is gentle with her, slowly undressing her as they move towards the bed. By the way he caresses and kisses her, It's clear that he's experienced, and he stretches each moment for as long as he can until she asks him for more. Soon, all of their clothes are strewn all over the floor, and they forget all about the outside world.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty   Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jun 2022, 9:52 pm

09:59 AM, 1th of August, 203 A.F.
Haven

It has been a week since Nick and the other members of the 17th squad have returned from Emerald, and they now have been summoned to the palace to receive their next mission. He knows they'll be leaving Haven immediately after that, which is why he and Anne—who's spent last night with him—are heading to the local park to say goodbye to a young friend of his.

"So, when did you first meet her?" Anne asks.

Smirk is of course walking behind them.

Nicks signs and air-writes at the same time, so she can get used to it. "Been... four years now? They got her really young."

"Hmm." Anne looks pensive for a moment. "What about you, Smirk? You're not teaching her anything bad, are you?"

"Exclusively! You oughta hear Sasha's one-liners."

Anne gives Nick the look.

Nick's jaw drops a moment, as he searches for words he can't speak, finally settling on, "He's... joking. He's harmless."

"I'm a puppy!".

Nick gives Smirk the look. Then back to Anne. "He's just trying to get on my nerves."

Anne chuckles. "He's always trying to get on your nerves."

They arrive within viewing distance of the park. At this time of the morning during the weekend, there is usually many children playing here, but scant few today. Most likely because of the war. Nick immediately spots Connie's tuft of red hair.

"Alright, one more time. Mute Boy's on Orb duty because he sucks at making people laugh. If she summons Sasha, I get her attention. Anne, you put on the charm and make her laugh or otherwise keep her attention on you. She likes puppies. Nicky Boy casually saunters to the back, gives her a little pat on the head, done. Little girl saved." Smirk picks something off the grass, a beetle. Hands it to Nick. "Here, a pigeon."

Nick hides it.

"Uh, sure, I can do that," Anne replies. Then says to Nick, "Why not just pat her on the head when she comes to meet you though?"

Nick blinks. "Well... If I get the chance... and the opportunity presents itself... Yeah."

Anne nods. "I'm right behind you."

Nick walks up, his usual charming mute self. Just as he's wondering what to do to get her attention, Smirk starts going "I'm siiiinging in the raaaain  ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬... I'm siiiiiiiinging in the raaaaaaain ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯.......!!"

The redheaded girl is on her knees, building a kite. The instant she hears Smirk's voice, her head snaps towards the approaching trio, and a big smile appears on her face. " Nick! Smirk!" She stands up, runs up to Nick until they're less than a meter apart, and says, " You're safe! I knew you would be!"

"Eh, you know us. Take all challengers form here to the Fingers! Well, actually we're smack dab in the middle of everything so that doesn't really make much sense, point is Mute Boy is saying "Sure we are! Real happy to see, you, kiddo!"" Nick walks forward, cracks a smile, pats her on the head. In goes the Orb.

Connie doesn't even appear to notice the orb going in and says, "You came just in time! I'm building a kite daddy bought for me!" Her eyes turn to Anne, who smiles at the girl. "Um, hi. Are you Nick's girlfriend...?"

The white mage looks at the summoner, uncertain what to say.

Nick lifts the Orb hand to see the beetle strolling along it. Lets it go.

"Your stupid beetle turned out to be for nothing"

"Better safe than sorry, dipshit."

Then Connie pops the heavy question, to which Nick has little trouble nodding, air-writing, "Yup."

"Way out of his league, too."

"Aren't you out of everyone's league, then?" Connie asks.

Anne blushes furiously at Nick's statement, but the girl's quick wit provides the perfect distraction and she lets out a laugh.

"Pretty much, yeah. The lucky dog…". Nick shrugs in the smuggest manner he had ever seen anyone shrug.

"Hi. I'm Anne," the white mage says with a smile. "I see you know how to handle Smirk. You wanna teach me how someday?"

"Of course! We can do that right now, if you want!"

"Oh, I'd love to, but we must be going soon..."

Anne looks at Nick, signaling to him that he should take it from here.

Nick nods sadly. "Got a new mission lined up, gonna ship out soon. All military type hush-hush."

The news instantly dampen the mood, and Connie starts fiddling with her hands.

"...You're going to be fine, right?"

Nick smiles and waves off her concern. "Pssh..."

"Yeah! Look at us, total certified baddasses. Like, I’m actually gonna get a certificate after this one, hang it on the wall. Just to annoy Mute Boy, it's gonna be awesome."

"You don't need a certificate for that. I already know you two are awesome!" Connie beams at the two of them, then exclaims, "Oh! I almost forgot. Sasha should get to say goodbye too!"

She summons the water Aspect, which as small and slender as Connie, and while looking at Anne, the Aspect immediately says, "Nice catch, Nick!"

"Sasha!" Connie admonishes her.

"What? It's true."

Nick scratches his head in mild embarrassment. So does Anne.

"Goodbye, Nick. Goodbye, Smirk. And goodbye, Anne! You three better come back, okay? I still need help with my weaving lessons!"

"Yeah!" Sasha adds. "We want that cushy government job!"

"State funding all the way!" Smirk points both fingers at her. Nick waves. "We'll be back before you know it, kids."

"Goodbye!" Anne says.

"See you later!" Connie replies, waving back.

"We'll be waiting!" her Aspect says.

The trio leave the park as the girl and her elemental double continue to wave goodbye. Anne looks back at them, smiling, and says, "She's a good girl."

Nick nods, gestures. "The best."

"And now she'll keep on being a good girl. Mute Boy was wound up tighter than a vise about this."

Anne takes Nick's hand, gently squeezes it, and says, "Well, she's safe now."

Nick exhales in relief, nods and mouths. "Yeah. She is."

With this weight lifted off their shoulders, they continue towards the palace, where the emperor is waiting for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty   Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Act 3: The Ball - Afterparty
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5