A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Empty
PostSubject: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2021, 11:35 pm

Thirza and Marius leave through the hallway, leaving the party members alone with Hortensia, Cacistus, and Angelica.

Amber wriggles in her chair as an uncomfortable silence settles in.
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2021, 11:37 pm

"You alright?" - he asks as he looks at Amber, then at Hortensia and Cascistus.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2021, 11:41 pm

"Yeah, I'm fine," she replies with a serious expression. "Just a little tense, is all."

"After what we've just talked about, it's more than understandable," Cacistus says.

"Yes. A lot is riding on you," Hortensia adds.

Amber meets her gaze and sustains it for a few seconds before she turns her attention back at Fluffle, who's sitting cross-legged on the table right next to her.

He gives her a comforting smile.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm

"If you get a chance, survey the room in advance and pick your targets before the action starts. Nobles, then grunts. If you see someone that looks like a Mage, ignore them unless you got nothing better; they're usually pretty resistant anyway."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2021, 11:46 pm

Amber nods at her brother. "Yeah. I'll make sure to make it count."

Konrad turns to the Paragon. "While we wait, Angelica, can you help us understand your god a little more? How does Dux guide people?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2021, 11:58 pm

Angelica looks at Konrad and smiles at him. "With kindness and understanding," she replies. "Understand that your death is inevitable, and become the person others would want to rely on. That is how you live a fulfilling life."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 12:04 am

Konrad "hmm's" and says, "I see. I was looking for a more practical answer. Is that the extent of his influence? Or does he have a stronger effect on his followers?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 12:46 am

The Paragon tilts her head and ponders the question for a moment. "My father abused me as a child," she says. "And my mother never once defended me. I left before I could kill either of them, but I still have scars from that time."

Everyone becomes rigid as the mood suddenly shifts from tense to downright awkward. No one dares to speak, and only the sound of the rain beating against the windowpanes breaks the silence that has fallen over the room.

"I hated everyone, and looked down on those who spoke of love," Angelica continues. "As if it was a weakness. I became a mercenary so I could hurt others without impunity, with the promise of gold at the end of it. I lived a meaningless life filled with empty glory, until I was hired to help an archeological expedition retrieve certain artifacts near the Furka Isles. That's where we found an intact copy of the Iera Keimena, and where I found my purpose in life. Now here I am. Maybe this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's the one that I needed."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 1:03 am

Konrad stares back and chews on her words. "Our lives have some symmetry with each other," he responds thoughtfully. "Before a series of, well, let's call them 'revelations', I also left home to live the same way that you did. But nobody had ever hurt me. Thank you for sharing your story. Are you going to be all right?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 1:06 am

"I will be, yes. Thank you for asking."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 1:06 am

Mihai stares at Angelica as she tells her story. Now he stares into empty space, as if lost a thousand yards past the wall.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 1:12 am

Steve quietly ponders Angelica's life and thinks about the book in his backpack. He promised himself that he'd read it first quiet chance he got.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 1:26 am

"Cacistus? You and your sister better go. You don't have much time before the curfew begins."

The young man stands up and nods at his mentor, grateful that she's the one who broke the silence.

"We will," he says. "Let's go, Hortensia."

"I've heard," she retorts. The two nobles put their cloaks on and head out for the door, only to stop for an instant when Hortensia turns around and says to the adventurers, "Good luck for tonight. I will see you tomorrow."

Before they leave however, the adventurers decide it would be safer if Amber went with them. For a moment, it looks like their young companion might protest, but ultimately doesn't. She instead tells her brother and friends to be careful, and follow the Mutilus siblings out of the basement. The Paragon follows suit a couple of minutes later, but not before Fluffle waves goodbye at her and manages to make her smile.

Femke quietly stands up and joins the others near the door.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 1:51 am

"We should go before the curfew starts."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 10:05 pm

Steve gets up and shoulders his backpack before making sure he's got everything. Satisfied, he says, "Let's do it."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm

"I'm ready!" Fluffle exclaims as he takes refuge into Steve's hood.

Femke nods and follows the adventurers out of the basement, and they make their way to the docks. The streets are almost deserted, save for a few townspeople hurrying back home, and one bored Vigilate patrol. There are no carriages at this time of night, which means by the time they reach the Vulcan, they have only a few minutes left before the curfew begins.

They are greeted by Segel, who's hovering under a sheet of canvas he's holding in the air with telekinesis, which protects him from the rain. Leaning on the rail next to him is Kaja, her physique impossible to mistake even under the long cloak she wears. The two of them put an end to their conversation once they notice the party members walking towards them.

"Hello!" Segel exclaims. "We were just talking about you. Is everything okay?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 10:56 pm

Konrad nods and smiles once. "Yes, everything is fine. Come, we'll bring you two up to speed in my cabin. We have a big day tomorrow."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 11:00 pm

Kaja grins at the captain and says in her thick accent, "What, inviting us to the ball tomorrow? I'm afraid I didn't bring my dress with me."

"You have a dress?" Fluffle asks.

"Oh, yes. Haven't worn it in years, though."

The group goes into the captain's cabin.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 11:14 pm

Once the door is closed behind them, Konrad walks around to his favorite seat, but remains standing. "We are indeed going to the ball. We were planning to get close to the duchess before we arrived, but the situation changed after we learned what she's up to. There will be a coup taking place in the ball and all throughout the city, and we will be thwarting it. We just met and planned out the strategy. You and the rest will play an important role in holding the Grand Ward. The leader of counteroperation will send her second to ensure you get there without being spotted. Before I go on, do you have any questions?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 11:32 pm

"No, not yet."

Kaja is unfazed by the news, and with her arms crossed, she waits for Konrad to continue. Segel is a different story however—he looks back and forth between his comrades, astonished by what he's just heard. He doesn't ask anything either, and simply prepares himself for whatever else Konrad is going to say.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 11:48 pm

"Alright then. You will reach the southeastern cliff of Prosperitatem Island in the Grand Ward with Marius. You must watch yourself around him, and around his superior Julia, and also any member of the Coins faction. We don't believe that they will be dumb enough to pull any tricks on you, but they may not be friendly."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 11:53 pm

"We're working with the Coins?" Kaja asks.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2021, 11:56 pm

Steve shrugs and says, "My enemy is my friend when there's a worse enemy. It's temporary. Keep that in mind."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSun 05 Dec 2021, 12:04 am

"This is still a curious alliance..." The tall woman glances at Mihai before focusing her attention back on the conversation. Segel also seems surprised by this turn of events.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitimeSun 05 Dec 2021, 12:13 am

"Trust me, i wouldn't go anywhere near them without my sword drawn. After what i already told you, you deserve to know the whole story, but keep in mind that they're rightly paranoid about who they allow with this knowledge. And even if they weren't, this is heavy enough to change your life; and not really for the better. There's a reason we keep their secrets, even if i can't stand them right now."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War   Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Act 3: The Ball - Preparations of War
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next