A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:15 pm

"We can definitely do that," Kathryn affirms. She then asks, "In years past, how many bullywugs lived in that cave?"
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:39 pm

Nature Check:

The sergeant nods at Carlos. "Yes, that would be the wisest place to begin. " He then addresses Kat's question, "They usually send a full war party, which consists of anything between twenty-five and thirty warriors and their leadership. You also need to watch out for giant toads. They're fond of training them to be guards or mounts. The bastards can swallow a man whole so watch out, especially near water. They might grab someone and jump in. I can tell you from personal experience that person is dead if they do."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:46 pm

"We'll have to ride if we're going to make it back in time. Can you lend us some horses?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:07 am

"Now that, I can do. Go, get ready. I'll have your horses and the instructions for Illyana at the stable in the next twenty minutes. Pack light. You'll need the speed." He turns to John and says, "I assume you plan to go too?"

John shrugs and then tries to look confident, "My job is to see them around Harkenwold right? Can't very well stay in the castle while they run off and face all the danger. Besides, I want to help."

Leo grasps John on both shoulders and says, "Good. I'm proud of you. Stay safe, fight smart, and listen to your cousin. Got it?"

"Yeah, I got it. Thanks Uncle Leo." He hugs his uncle.

"Eh, don't thank me yet. You have some bullywugs to fight." They break the hug and Leo then smiles and says, "May the gods go with you all."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:11 am

"Thank you, Ranger Howard," the knight says. "Don't worry, we'll bring back your nephew safe and sound."

She pats the young man on the back.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:17 am

"Aye, just got to smash some frogs."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:17 am

Hunter nods firmly. "Got it. I'd better go talk to Alma then."

He makes to leave to find the kitchen, but turns around to face Leo. "Oh, and Leo? Can you...can you take it easy on the drow lady? I-it's none of my business, it's just I've got a good feeling, and, yeah."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:25 am

Leo is very skeptical and it shows clearly on his face. "A good feeling. About a drow. And what is this feeling based on, might I ask?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:28 am

"A, uh," he coughs, "on a vision I had. Looking into the White Well. In Eyton's Grove. It uh, showed me the future?"

Persuasion 16
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:38 am

"Hunter, I really don't know what to say. I've been to Eyton's Grove and last I checked, they didn't have any wells giving people visions. What is this about?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:44 am

Hunter clears his throat, fully aware that this will sound crazy, like some fishwife's tale. "I guess Ludmilla couldn't tell you about this part. While we were in the grove, we went into the Feywild and met the Lady of the White Well. She let me look into the Well and I saw visions. One of those was of Yorenan cracking down on the gang in Fallcrest with a drow woman helping him."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:46 am

"And you believe this drow woman is the same one Yorenan just captured?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:49 am

Hunter looks inward for a few seconds. Finally, he says, "Yes, I do."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 12:53 am

Leo rubs his beard with one hand while he tries to process this. He finally sighs and asks, "And you vouch for this Lady of the White Well? That she isn't a witch or trickster?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 1:05 am

"If I may?" Kathryn says. "I'm Ser Kathryn. The Lady of the White Well's name is Eninahes, and she's the daughter of the goddess Sehanine and Ser Quarion Sunstar the Valiant. She's also friend with Eyton, who resides in her domain in the Feywild. And although she warned me about believing fully in the visions of the Well, she also told me they were still a possibility."

OOC:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 1:15 am

"Eninahes is an eladrin. You can bet she and her mother are no friend of Lolth. One of the things she gave us were a pair of bracers once worn by the Black Arrows. They defeated the drow in the battle that ended the Kinslayer Wars and drove them out of the Feywild."
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 1:23 am

"Gave me one of her father's armors. You ought to see the thing, it could stop an axe. But anyway..." - Carlos strokes beard - "Drow woman stayed behind to save an Elf child when she could have just escaped. Actions talk. Don't it make you just a little curious?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 1:50 am

"Admittedly it does." He rubs his chin thoughtfully.

Zoe decides to help too. "I've never met her but she's a real sweet heart from what I hear. She even gifted me this hat." Zoe activates it and makes herself look like she's wearing a tasteful white gown and then back again.

The Ranger's eyebrows raise in surprise at the illusion but he hides it quickly before nodding in acknowledgement. Finally, he scratches the side of his face and says, "The prisoner's fate isn't up to me, but I won't forget what you've said. I promise you that."

Group Persuasion Check:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 1:54 am

Hunter nods respectfully. "Thanks, Leo. We'd better get moving."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 2:00 am

Kathryn beams at Leonard's change of attitude regarding the drow. "Thank you, Howard. I hope she proves to be trustworthy."

She nods at the ranger and follows her friends outside. She and Carlos need to put on their armor, and they don't have much time to do it.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 2:31 am

Carlos nods, then gets to business - "C'mon, Kat. That armor ain't strapping itself on. Be a nice enchantment, though."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 11:19 pm

The party leaves the Ranger HQ through the door on the other side of the room. After walking down a long hallway with doors leading into a barracks, the armory, and three storage areas, you guys arrive at another door, this one leading into the tower you guys used earlier. After walking up one flight of the spiral stairs, Hunter breaks off for the kitchen to see Alma Walsh, the castle cook, about curing the owlbear meat.

Meanwhile, the rest of you continue up the staircase to the second floor, emerging into the guest room hallway once at the top. I realized I didn't mention this earlier, but the stairs actually continue up to the top of the tower. Not important right now but a silly thing to leave out earlier. Sorry about that. Anyway, Carlos and Kat both help each other put on their respective armors, cutting the time required by twenty-five percent so 15 minutes total. Add another minute for rearming and putting on your packs and things and that's plenty of time for Hunter to get back and do the same.

Now that you guys are all suited up, you head for the stables. As you are walking up you guys see kitchen staff unloading the owlbear meat from the wagon. In front of the stable you guys spot John, Noble, and Sophia. John has a big round shield on his back, a mace at his hip, and a spear in his hand, which he is leaning on while watching Noble and the young girl play.  

When he looks up to see you guys approaching, Zoe puts her hand up in greeting and says, "Hi. We're all set."

"All right. Jack has the horses saddled, we just need to lead them out of their stalls." He leads you into the stable where you each get a riding horse.

Carlos:A spotted Corio mare named Judy.
Hunter: A black and white Pillo named Moonshadow.
John: A black Corio named Flyswatter.
Jojo: Another spotted mare named Rhubarb.
Kathryn: a brown Corio mare named Carrot.
Zoe: A red Pillo named Paprika.

After getting to know your horses a bit and then mounting them, you guys then spend the next two and a half hours riding to Ilyanna's House. The villages of Harken and Albridge don't register much with you, riding as quickly as you are (ie, they'll get an official introduction later when you have some time to appreciate it.) The only thing I'll describe for now is the bridge through Albridge. The bridge that gives Albridge it's name is a pretty stone bridge of dwarven make that spans the White River and is large enough to let two wagons pass each other going opposite directions. It's well maintained and clearly the pride of the village.

Down the road from Albridge is Ilyanna's House, part of an old abandoned manor, but rather than fixing up the manor proper, she has instead rebuilt and expanded the former stables and guest house into a full on connected lab. Smoke stacks poke out every which way from over a dozen places on the roof, whistling and shooting multicolored smoke into the air. There are no windows to speak of though there are entirely too many doors on the structure. Some are normal, others are sideways, and a few are too high to use by normal means.

Jojo looks at the building confused and says, "Is this really the place? Which door do we use?"

John shrugs. "Sorry, I've actually never been here before."

That's when the south side wall explodes, scaring the horses and partially collapsing that part of the building.

Everyone please make a Charisma (Handle Animal) check to keep control of your horse. If you aren't trained use Charisma.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 11:31 pm

Hunter tries to shush and pat down Moonshadow. "Ssh, you're okay, buddy."

Animal Handling 18
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 11:35 pm

"Woah! Calm down Carrot! Calm!"

Kathryn grasps the reins firmly and pets the mare's muzzle to calm her.

Handle Animal:
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 11:37 pm

Carlos grips the reins and tries some of that old Dwarven smoothness to calm his mare. - "Oy Judy, Steady!"

Roll: 6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 10 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next