A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kolson

Kolson

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 10:55 pm

A confused Griffin looks at John who shrugs. So instead, Griffon says, "Okay, I don't know what any of that means but I'm proud of you. You'll need to explain it more to me later. What are your plans for supper?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm

His sister answers with disappointment on her face. "Lord Stockmer has already invited us for supper this evening. But we can arrange something else! We could have dinner together if you want, or supper sometime tomorrow. We should be in Harken for a couple of days at least."
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:04 pm

"You think he'd let us bring you, if we asked him first?" Hunter asks the brother.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:07 pm

"Oh, if you are already coming to supper I don't see the issue then. The whole castle shows up; we all eat together most nights unless Stockmer is entertaining some bigwig from Hammerfast."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:09 pm

"Oh, good! You can sit right next to each other, then."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:20 pm

"I hope we can! That'd be great." Kathryn looks over to the door they just went through and then back at Griffin. "How about we talk some more this evening? I don't want to get you in trouble with your boss..."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:22 pm

"Yeah, I really should get back." He hugs her again. "I'll see you at supper. You can tell me and Holly what a Shiere Knight is. And we'll have something to tell you too." He smiles mischievously at her.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:28 pm

"Oh, really?" she replies innocently. "I can't wait to see her again! Take care now, and if you need anything, just ask for me near the tower. Lord Stockmer is letting us use his guest rooms."

She hugs him one more time.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:46 pm

"Alright, then. It was nice meeting you all. See you at supper." He opens the door to the copy room and closes it behind him, going back to work.

After Griff leaves, John says, "So, what would you guys like to do next?"
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:49 pm

"I've got some trophies from the gnolls to hawk at the rangers, if they'll take them. And who knows, maybe they'll help me cure all that meat we have, we'll see if we can work something out. Oh, guys, John knows about the gnolls, but that's all on the DL, okay?"
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:53 pm

"Sure."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2019, 11:54 pm

It takes a moment for Kathryn to understand what Hunter meant by "DL". When she does, she nods and tells the guard, "Make sure not to tell anyone about it, okay John?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:24 am

"Oh, uh, no worries. It's Ranger business; if Stockmer wanted everyone to know he'd tell us. I don't see any point in scaring folks anyway."

Jojo nods along. "Commendable, John. So where are the Rangers?"

"Not far. Follow me." He leads you guys out the door of the library and to the closest door on the left. He opens it and it reveals an L stair going down below the castle. A torch burns at the landing, and you guys turn and proceed down the final run through a locked, reinforced wooden door. The underground area is made of carved stone and is lit by torches every fifteen feet. There's a table for a guard nearby the staircase but the cells are all empty so no one is on duty right now. "We don't get much crime so we don't use these very much."

He leads you to the west end of the room to the reinforced wooden door there and pulls out a key, which he uses to unlock it. On the other side is large room, with a big table in the middle on which a large map is placed. Three men and two women, clearly Rangers, are standing around the map having a discussion. They stop when you guys enter and look at John after he finishes shutting and locking the door behind him.

With a smart salute to one of the men, John says, "Stockmer's guests have business with the Rangers, Uncle Leo." To save time, he introduces each of you to his uncle, who is Sergeant Leonard Howard, the second-in-command of the Harkenwold Rangers.

Ranger Leonard Howard:

For his part, Leo walks over and shakes all of your hands. "It's good to see you Hunter. I hope the gods find you well. It's a good thing you and your friends did for Ludmilla and we won't forget it. So, what can I do for you?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:32 am

Kathryn is content to stand around and let Hunter handle this Ranger business; this is his expertise after all. Instead, she puts a hand on the handle of her sword to support herself, and looks at the four other rangers standing in the room. She will smile and wave at them if they look back at her.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:36 am

Hunter beams at the praise from the veteran ranger. These people always treated him well. They have a former Vistani among them, so why him any different? "I recall something about there being a bounty for trophies, and I made sure to collect something from all the enemies we've faced--uh, I mean monsters."

He brings out his sack of trophies and holds them at his side.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 1:06 am

He takes the sack and walks it over to nearby desk, heaves it on top, and opens it up. "Right, Ludmilla mentioned we'd owe you some pay. Gnolls, demons, and an owlbear." He carefully counts out the remains all while carefully keeping notation on a scrap piece of paper. When finished, he waives over the youngest Ranger, a half-elf with curly brown hair who looks like he's in his twenties. He waved at Kat earlier while waiting for his commander to return to the briefing. "Jack, I need you to run this up to Hal and bring back whatever he gives you. Got it?"

"You got it Leo." Jack takes the piece of paper and winks at Kat, before running out through the door on the western wall.

"Shouldn't take long. Please, have a seat anywhere you can." He indicates any of the chairs around the desks along the north wall.

While you guys wait, you listen to another Ranger, a gray haired woman with a scar on her face, give her report about goblin activity in the west forest. Apparently a group of scouts on wargs made it as far as Harkenwold but she managed to ambush and kill most of them. They are getting bolder and she suspects they'll start raiding the wold soon starting with Marl. Leo promises to bring this information to the Baron.

Next, a younger man reports that Yorenan's patrol successfully routed a drow incursion in the north wood. The drow attacked a Woodsinger Camp, murdering many in their sleep. The Rangers tracked the raiding party back to their camp and killed most of them before sealing the cave they used. There was one survivor. Most strange, she had turned on her fellows, trying to protect an elven child and had subsequently gotten her throat cut for her troubles. Yorenan was able to save both. Leo shakes his head and spits before asking why he saved the drow. The young man shrugs and says it's Yorenan. The patrol will return in a few days.

That's when Jack returns with your pay. It's 50 silver and 5 copper. It's more than what Leo counted out to you guys. A very generous bonus. Leo smiles and says, "Consider it a thank you from all of us."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 1:22 am

Hunter gives the half-elf the side-eye, but doesn't say anything. Kat would be fair...right? He brushes it off for now. Focus on business, Hunter!

"Nice! Oh, of course Leo, anything for the Rangers." Hunter takes the coin and gives it a little shake to feel the weight and hear the clink of cold hard cash. "Also, we still have a bunch of raw meat we need cured before it goes bad. Were could we have that done? Is that something you guys do?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 1:52 am

Kathryn is surprised by the wink, and when she smiles back at the young man, it's by force of habit. She's left a little confused once he's gone, but she doesn't have much time to think about it; the Rangers start talking about the possibility of goblins raiding Marl, the village where her family lives.

She fidgets in her chair, very worried by this news. Fortunately, Zoe senses her anxiety and puts a comforting hand on hers. When presented with the money, she can only look at it with complete disinterest.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 12:57 pm

Carlos also notices Kat's worry, and pipes up to Leo - "So these Duendes, we know where they at?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 6:08 pm

Leo answers Hunter. "You should take the meat down to Alma in the kitchens. They'll get it sorted for you. I bet she'd be amenable to a trade of meat for labor. Tell her I sent you."

After Carlos asks his question, Leo walks over to the map, gesturing for the party to follow. "If they follow their standard procedure, they'll set up a forward camp to raid from. The camp will likely be in the forest somewhere to the southwest of Marl." He indicates the area by brushing his finger over the forest there. "The wildlife and general ruggedness of the terrain will be an advantage for them, since their wolves and wargs can navigate it much easier than a horse. After I bring this report to Stockmer, we'll start sending out patrols and coordinating with our allies in the area to try to track down this camp, hopefully before they kill anyone."

Map:
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 6:28 pm

Grateful for Carlos' initiative, Kathryn nods at her bearded friend and joins Leonard at the table. Her cheerful behavior gone, she listens assiduously to the Ranger. When he finishes his report, she doesn't even hesitate.

"We would like to help," she says, fire in her eyes. "We're not very stealthy, but we hit hard."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

Huh? Oh, right, goblins. Marl's in danger. Hunter hands the bounty to Jojo for him to distribute later. "Thanks, I'll go see her next. How soon will you be sending out patrols? Tomorrow morning?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm

Leo folds his arms while he contemplates the offer of help. "Right now, we're looking at three days before I can gather enough Rangers to begin this job and that assumes Yorenan's patrol gets back in time. What we really need right now is seasoned scouts. But maybe there is a way for you to help. If you'd be willing, I have a few jobs that need attending that should be right in your wheelhouse. By doing so, I'll be able to reassign the Rangers to this patrol. That could easily shave off a day, maybe even a day and a half."

Jojo looks at the others and when he sees everyone is agreed on helping he says, "What do you need us to do, Sergeant?"

"The Naiads of Albridge have requested a patrol to burn out some bullywugs that have set up in a cave along the White River. We call the cave Toadwallow, and it lies west of Tor's Hold along the river. The creatures keep reoccupying it every year or two. Apparently they believe it to be sacred or something. Whatever the case, if left alone they soon start raiding the nearby steadings and villages and we want to keep the Naiads happy regardless. Their friendship is too important to risk for some swamp bandits.

However, I think we need to take care of this problem permanently so in addition to clearing out their nest, I want you to see Illyana and get something to collapse the cave with. Illyana is our local alchemist. It might not keep them out for good, but maybe it will keep them from coming back every year. Her home is on the way to Tor's Hold, so long as you go by the King's Road.
"

Bullywug:

Locations:
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:09 pm

Carlos strokes beard while looking at map - "So...step uno is stopping by Illyana's."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 11:10 pm

"Okay, we'll leave to pass through Albridge and be back by supper. You guys can count on us."

Nature 12
Hunter's info on bullywugs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold   Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prologue: The Barony of Harkenwold
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next