A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Zeiss

Zeiss

Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri 05 Mar 2021, 11:13 pm

The bodyguards gratefully begin to pick different appetizers while their employer continues to talk to the party members.

"Oh? I was certain that Ms. Zawistowski had told you about me and my work. Well, I am a businessman and the owner of the Western Islands Shipping company. Although the main reason for my presence in Myr was the Tournament, I am also overseeing the expansion of my company in the eastern islands, which you gentlemen helped by transporting my cargo to Odwaz a few days ago. Thank you for that, by the way. The owner of the Space Hamster inn was very grateful to have his stock of beer replenished before the end of the Tournament."
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri 05 Mar 2021, 11:28 pm

"Ah, that was your shipment, I see." Konrad pops the cork on the wine and pours their glasses by hand. "You're welcome. Business must have been very good for you. I foresee this move paying off from fortuitous timing."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri 05 Mar 2021, 11:39 pm

"That's the hope," Brutus says as he picks up his cup of wine and smells its aroma. "Going forward, maybe you'd be willing to a more permanent arrangement between us? I can certainly use more ships to transport my goods across the isles, especially one that is as well fitted as this one, and although you're flying a Coins flag, I can't help but notice that you seem to be acting independently from them. Needless to say, I would make it worth your while."

He takes a sip from his cup and nods approvingly.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:01 am

Konrad responds with an affirmative grunt, and takes a sip from his own glass. "Mm. Sour, yet sweet. 412 vintage." He examines the bottle. "Imported from a field near Geheimnis in Lorinth, if you're curious. I take it you're planning to start a new branch in Emerald next?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:14 am

Brutus Sharp raises an eyebrow and tilts his head to the side when Konrad completely ignores his offer, and then glances at Steve to see if they're on the same page. When it becomes clear that they are, the merchant smiles and takes another sip from his cup before answering Konrad's question. "I already have a new branch in Voluptis, but I am considering expanding my business to Luxus too. I am going there to test the waters so to speak, and to this end, I've managed to secure myself an invitation to an exclusive ball hosted by the Duchess of the city. Maybe you've heard of it?"
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:23 am

"I heard that she was throwing a party, but not what it's for," says Steve, before trying the wine. He nods in satisfaction. "Is it a holiday or something?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:36 am

"Oh no," Brutus says after eating a canapé. "The Ball of Harmony is held twice a year by the high nobility of Emerald to foster the bonds of friendships between the families and the rest of the elite society; or so they say. In truth, it's just like any other political event, except this one is a lot more exclusive and prestigious than what you might expect. I will admit it was quite difficult to obtain an invitation for myself."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:44 am

"Sounds like quite the ordeal," says Steve, impressed.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:45 am

"It definitely was."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:47 am

"That's a shame, but I understand why the bar for entry is so high," Konrad says, with a bit of a ray of fascination. Meeting a member of a ruling family, who could imagine it? Then again, he'd already met Nadia. That didn't turn out well. "I've never met one of the ruling family before, much less a king or queen. What's she like? The duchess?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:51 am

"Oh, I've never met her before. I don't think I even will once I'm there. I only know her by reputation."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:55 am

Deception to confirm he's telling the truth.

Deception 22
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:56 am

Steve:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 12:59 am

Konrad stops mid-cut on the seafood entree, but resumes half a second later. "I think it would be worth it to boast later, if you only exchanged a greeting. But, business first, I suppose. Say, what's your pleasure, Mr. Sharp? How do you enjoy passing the time?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 1:10 am

"Hmm." Brutus cuts a piece of his meal and takes the time to savor it before he answers. "To be honest, I don't have much free time to myself, but when I do, I make sure to spend it with my family. I have a wife and two sons in Littlepen, and although I've been gone for only two weeks now, I can't wait to go back home and see them again."

He then smiles and finishes his cup of wine.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 1:17 am

Konrad swallows a bite of fish, and without pausing to take in the news that Brutus is married with kids, he says, "Oh, please tell us more! How old are your boys?"

Deception 16
Sense Motive to figure whether Brutus is making it up.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 1:19 am

Steve hides his shock at this turn of events by drinking some wine.

Deception 29
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 1:34 am

"Albert is six years old now, and Rowan just turned four." There's a twinkle in Brutus' eyes when talking about his sons. "I know, I know—I'm a little too old to be starting a family, but the heart wants what it wants, right? What about you two? Do you have families to return to?"

Konrad:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 1:40 am

"No, no family of my own." Konrad briefly wonders about the future, where he might be in a decade or two. And where his brother might have been. Not anymore. "Not--um, that is, I never married. Personal goals, expectations getting in the way."

(Does Konrad recognize either of the bodyguards?)
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 1:57 am

"I'm an orphan so not really," says Steve, but his tone is hopeful rather than sad and he immediately reveals why. "But I've been very fortunate to have people who've looked after me my whole life, including my friends on this ship, and I consider them my family. But more recently, I've became engaged to my girlfriend and we plan to marry after a suitable amount of time passes after I retire from the Coins."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 2:08 am

Konrad:

"That's a shame," Brutus says to Konrad, nodding in understanding. He then turns to Steve and gives him a wide smile when he hears the news. "Congratulations, Mr. Oldturn. This woman is one lucky gal to marry someone such as you. Have you already talked about having children? If you don't mind me asking."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 2:14 am

Steve starts giggling at that question, wiping away a tear before he manages to say, "Several times more than I'm sure she wanted to. Let's just say her family would very much like them to happen and she doesn't like to be told what to do."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 2:25 am

Konrad chuckles. "Please, do us all a favor and wait until she's ready!"

Deception 27
The realization of Brutus' actions in light of this revelation catches up to Konrad, and he has to hide his disgust.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 9:35 pm

"Your fiancée sounds like she's the perfect counterpoint to your frolicsome disposition. I wish you two great happiness in the future."

Brutus raises his cup to Steve and then drinks from it.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm

Konrad also raises his glass. "Let me add my own addendum - she's the perfect counterweight. To your perfect counterweight, Steve."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next