A very niche tabletop roleplaying forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
Kolson

Kolson

Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 10:30 pm

"Aw, thanks guys. I'll drink to that!" he raise his cup along with them, and takes a sip of wine. "So Brutus, I have to know, how did you meet your wife?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 10:51 pm

"Through a friend of mine. Maria's family unfortunately had to declare bankruptcy after several failed business ventures, and she had to strike out on her own to survive. She was only hoping to get a job from me, something to keep her out of the street, but once we got to talking, we realized that we shared several interests despite the difference in our age; music, literature, and theater. I invited her to one of Kaur's plays, and it all snowballed from there. What about you? What woman could possibly temper the heart of the Devil of the Citadel himself?"
Back to top Go down
https://thedreamlands.forumotion.com
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 11:37 pm

Steve takes on a contemplative expression and says, more to himself than to anyone, "Temper? Temper? I suppose Zelk has, in a way." He leans back and digests that idea for a moment before answering the question. "Back at school I would have said it was all good, stupid fun. Round and round we went, chasing each other here and there, up and down and all around. She was my best friend, and nemesis, all in one. The only one who really got me. Who really understood, even though she'd convinced herself that she didn't and that she didn't want to. But I knew. Her smile always gave it away. She was like me, and I love her for that." He can't help but smile as he thinks of her.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 11:47 pm

The entrepreneur listens to Steve talk as he swirls the last of his wine, and after much consideration, raises his cup to him. "To your soon-to-be wife, then. And may you live happily ever after."

The two bodyguards join their employer and raise their cups too.
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2021, 11:55 pm

Steve raises his glass and says, "To Zelk. And to happily ever afters."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 12:06 am

Konrad pauses respectfully for the toast, and picks up a forkful of salad. "What's the secret to staying married, anyway? Seeing as we all have an interest in our friend's 'happy ever-after', some input from a man of experience would prove invaluable."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 12:20 am

"Oh, it's simpler than you might think," Brutus chuckles. "You must first establish what the responsibilities of each spouse are, and then live according to them. In my case, Maria and me have agreed that I am the one who will provide for the family while she cares for our children when I am away from home. Of course, not every couple works this way, although it is the most common one. For you and your lady, I suspect you might decide on something different."
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 12:28 am

Steve nods in agreement. "I'm switching careers into something less dangerous. I've been taking singing and music lessons, and we've all founded our own company together. Remember the voice amplifiers from the Arena? That was us. It's an exciting challenge but I'd love to pick your brain if you don't mind? Like, how did you start your own business? What were some things you wish you knew then that you know now?"
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 1:05 am

"Ah, my younger days." Brutus finishes his meal and then pushes his plate aside, a wistful expression appearing on his face. "Well, I wasn't the  one who founded the Western Islands Shipping company; my first wife was. Phoebe Melan, a very bright young woman with a business degree from the Luxus University. Our marriage didn't last however and we separated a few years after that. But we remained amicable enough that I helped her collect enough capital to start her own company. When she unfortunately passed away, her controlling shares in the company passed on to me, her business partner. Since then, I've done my best to grow the business she started, and it is my hope that she would look favorably upon me if she could see what I've done with it up until now."

OOC:
Konrad:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 1:21 am

Konrad eats his bite of salad, and turns his attention to his plate once Brutus begins discussing how he inherited the company - by stealing his wife's success, he thinks, as he digs out another slice of pike, pretending not to be too interested.

Deception 18 (AP)
For Konrad's reaction: suspecting foul play, Konrad believes that Brutus Sharp invested in Phoebe's success, and then stole the company out from under her by planning its misfortunes. Leading to Konrad's own involvement. Dammit, where does he know this man from? That face...
Back to top Go down
Kolson

Kolson

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 7:38 pm

Steve is shocked by the way Brutus is putting it out there but he rolls with it, imagining how sad the loss would have made Fedler and Yen and then transferring those emotions into his performance for Brutus. "Oh, how sad. My condolences, sir. That must have been a very difficult time for you and your family."

Deception 24
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2021, 8:26 pm

There's a short pause before Brutus talks again. "Thank you for your kind words; they mean a lot to me. But please, don't let that spoil your evening. I'm sure there are more lighthearted topics we can talk about."

He smiles to the two mages and waits to see if they have anything else to ask.
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Mar 2021, 12:24 am

Konrad finishes a bite of food and asks, "Well, to springboard off of what you said last, forgive me if this sounds rather forward but if you'll indulge my curiosity, what passion drives you to be an entrepreneur and create wealth? Inheritance for the boys? Maybe, reducing the problem of scarcity?"

Diplomacy 19
With a couple charitable guesses, Konrad makes an attempt to get Brutus to gush about his plans for his wealth and the company.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Mar 2021, 10:56 pm

"You had it right on your first try," Brutus says. "I do it for my children. Of course back when I was younger, it was all about status and money, but as I got older, I realized that family is what really matters. I must admit however that I also want to leave a trace of my passage on this earth, and this company might be what people remember me for. I can only hope that my sons will prove themselves worthy of all the blood, sweat and tears I've put into this company when they succeed me."
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Mar 2021, 11:10 pm

Deception 25
Konrad searches, first and foremost, for hints of remorse in the man's words and body language. Second, whether or not he's telling the truth.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Mar 2021, 8:53 pm

Konrad:
Back to top Go down
RorytheRomulan

RorytheRomulan

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Mar 2021, 9:08 pm

"Hmm. I see. I think I understand. I hope they do as well." Konrad raises his glass. "Let me raise another toast - to family."
Back to top Go down
Zeiss

Zeiss

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm

"To family!" Brutus says as he raises his glass, soon joined by his two bodyguards.

The rest of dinner passes rather quickly as the businessman broaches the subject of the Tournament and the part the two mages played in it. He is especially interested in the actions that they took and which he missed because of how fast everything went, and they spend the rest of the evening retelling the events from their perspective. Mr. Sharp of course mentions the strange disappearing move Szef Nadzieja made in her fight against Szef Makara, but judging by the party members' evasive answers, he surmises that it is a secret monk technique that very few people have mastered. This is the prevailing rumor about it anyway.

Soon, it is time to go to bed and he thanks the mages for a very entertaining evening, but not before he asks them to pass on his compliments to the cooks for the delicious meal. Then he and his men leave for their cabin.
Back to top Go down
K

K

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar 2021, 6:55 pm

Amber and Mihai:

Fluffle and Mihai:

Femke and Mihai:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald   Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Act 3: The Ball - En route to Emerald
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13